Triumph Trophy members meet up. by Ebenezer
[Yesterday at 07:53:11 pm]

Trophy Traded for a Scrambler 1200 xc by Coconut
[Yesterday at 06:32:52 pm]

Tank bag question. by trophied
[Yesterday at 02:35:08 pm]

Ignition Switch Wiring WORLDWIDE Safety Recall SRAN574 by baz1
[Yesterday at 11:05:10 am]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 3M Auto Paint Defender Spray Film  (Read 3767 times)

Offline jordbarnet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Marlton
3M Auto Paint Defender Spray Film
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:15:36 pm »
While sitting in the auto repair shop (separate issue - second time my car is back for a $12.95 set brake ring which cost $400 to install), I was leafing through "Car and Driver".  There was an advertisement for 3M Pain Defender Spray Film.

While I have installed the paint protection kit from Triumph, I have already replaced the covers on my Pannier bags on two separate occasions due to my OCD over various scratches which occurred (Leaning the bike near a building to keep it out of the rain).

The film is very easy to apply and as it is drying right now, seems to be "mostly" invisible.   It is also removable.

The reason I bring this up, the paint protection kit, from Triumph, does nothing to protect the sides and top of the bags from scratches.  There have been several discussions regarding custom templates to cut 3M film.   This seems to be a great alternative.

The only chains which carry the product seem to be Advanced Auto.   

As a disclaimer,  I do not work for 3M nor for any form of motorcycle/paint/automotive company
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:40:25 pm by jordbarnet »

Offline Keith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Kansas City, MO
Re: 3M Auto Paint Defender Spray Film
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:48:04 am »
Hmmmm, I have seen commercials for that product, marketed to be applied to the leading edge of a cars hood to protect from rock chips etc.....
I think you hit a stroke of genius to think of applying it on a bike.
I am putting it on my to do list and will let you know how it works. If it can be removed as easily as they say, what is there to loose.
Tanks for the idea!  :821:
Keith
2013 triumph Trophy SE
1977 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Offline jordbarnet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:42:11 am »
First of all....as a married man.....I haven't heard me referred to a genius in years!   Please just don't consult my wife on that point.

The stuff does go on very easily and comes off easily too! (I've tried!)  Just wax the surface before the application.

Don't know if it is still in affect, yet I just got a refund of $15 from Autozone for purchasing the product from them.

Again - don't work for the company (Far from it - Healthcare!)

Offline Keith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:31:12 pm »
*Originally Posted by jordbarnet [+]
First of all....as a married man.....I haven't heard me referred to a genius in years!   Please just don't consult my wife on that point.

The stuff does go on very easily and comes off easily too! (I've tried!)  Just wax the surface before the application.

Don't know if it is still in affect, yet I just got a refund of $15 from Autozone for purchasing the product from them.

Again - don't work for the company (Far from it - Healthcare!)

Ahh, so you got some. Let us know how it works out.
Keith
2013 triumph Trophy SE

Offline jordbarnet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:42 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear.....I have it on the panniers now.  It is great.   Really can't tell it is on, just like paint protector kit elsewhere on my bike.....

THey say it lasts a year

Offline Keith

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:44:31 pm »
*Originally Posted by jordbarnet [+]
Sorry if I wasn't clear.....I have it on the panniers now.  It is great.   Really can't tell it is on, just like paint protector kit elsewhere on my bike.....

THey say it lasts a year

Ah, ok got it. I was looking at the front of the bike last night for areas prone to rock chips. There is an area between the front blinkers and headlights that could use some protection. I plan on getting some, maybe next week.
Keith
2013 triumph Trophy SE

tweedy-bunch