Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] How to Lower Front Forks: Help please..  (Read 7234 times)

• Offline xviffer

• Trophy Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline xviffer

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Oakton, VA
    How to Lower Front Forks: Help please..
    on: Dec 21, 2018, 01.06 am
    Dec 21, 2018, 01.06 am
    Hi-
      I successfully installed the Lust Racing lowering links (20mm) and read elsewhere on this forum that the front forks should be lowered by 14mm.  I had the suspension warning light come on the initial ride, but then on my next ride it went away.  However, I can feel the difference in the ride, so I'd like to lower the front to get back the original feel.

I was unable to find a "How To" on this topic for the TTSE (2016).  Anyone care to offer some simple instructions, or should I have this done by the dealer?

Thanks.

• Offline janfmiller   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    960

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
    • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • Bike: Was: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
    Re: How to Lower Front Forks: Help please..
    Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03.04 am
    Dec 21, 2018, 03.04 am
    The fork tubes on each side are held in place by pinch bolts and nuts on the upper and lower 'triple trees'.

Be sure and look carefully at where the tops of the forks are before beginning, so you know where to measure from.

FIRST, support the front of the bike.  Opinions vary, but I simply put a 2x4 on top of a floor jack and pumped the jack up to just touch the bottom of the fairing.

Loosen the bolts on the triple trees that pinch the forks.

Now.. if you are lucky the forks will be able to slide up.  You can try a block and a lever first.  I very carefully lowered the jack about 1/2 inch below the fairing.
    Then I got on the bike, locked the front brake, and gently leaned forward and bounced forks, and they slid up.

Measure on both sides to ensure the measurements are identical.

I believe I was able to tap the forks DOWN using a wooden dowel on the edge of the cap.  DO NOT smack the connector on the top center.

Best done with a helper I'd say.... 
    1977 Suzuki TS-185
    1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
    2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES NON-DCT
    2016 Yamaha FJ-09

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5110

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12.42 pm
    Dec 21, 2018, 12.42 pm
    A digital caliper helps to measure the amount that each leg is raised, but if you have a small wood block cut to 14mm thick you could use that as a gauge.  I only raised mine by 12.5mm.  I never saw anything on the Lust site or with my links to indicate that the front should be lowered by 14mm, but that was in 2013, so they were new to the market.  The only suggestion was that the front be lowered, but no indication of how much.  I went by what some others that had used them had done and it worked out well as far as I'm concerned.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline xviffer

• Trophy Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline xviffer

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2018, 01.37 pm
    Dec 21, 2018, 01.37 pm
    Ok, thanks for the input.  This will be my weekend project!!

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03.38 pm
    Dec 21, 2018, 03.38 pm
    I haven't done this on my Trophy, but did do it to my Tiger. Loosening both forks at the same time sounds a bit scary to me. When I done the Tiger I loosened one fork at a time, as the weight of the bike is then transferred to the other fork the one that ha been loosened will side up through the clamps. I had to give them a little assistance by twisting them slightly back & forth.
    Happy holidays to everyone, I hope Santa is good to you all.  :152:

• Offline Xhdracer

• Trophy Member  ‐    88

Offline Xhdracer

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 trophy se
    • City / Town: Las Vegas
    Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03.42 pm
    Dec 21, 2018, 03.42 pm
    I put on the adjustable links on and lowered mine 1 inch (25mm ) and have not had the light come on or any other Ill effects. Feels the same as before pretty much. Ive put on several thousand miles.

• Offline xviffer

• Trophy Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline xviffer

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2018, 06.37 pm
    Dec 22, 2018, 06.37 pm
    A couple of points of clarification before I start loosening bolts.  Please let me know if I'm off track.  I have the bike on the center stand.

1.   Question for janfmillerFIRST, support the front of the bike.  Opinions vary, but I simply put a 2x4 on top of a floor jack and pumped the jack up to just touch the bottom of the fairing..  Bottom of which fairing are you referring to?  The location of the red arrow?  Seems like there isn't much strength for support there as it's just plastic.  Are you referring to another spot?

2.  I had to remove the inner fairings to get to the pinch bolts at the tops of the forks. 

3.  Following the advise of trophied, I cut a small block of wood to 14mm as a gauge and marked the point on the forks.   I will lower the front to the mark. 

4.  Important:  When I retighten the pinch bolts, what is the torque spec to tighten?

Thanks in advance.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5110

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2018, 06.43 pm
    Dec 22, 2018, 06.43 pm
    Upper and lower are 25Nm according to Coconut in a previous answer to the question.  You can take that as GOSPEL due to the knowledge of the coconut!
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch