Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Sold Trophy due to design flaw/safety issue  (Read 11363 times)

• Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro  ‐    100
    • Topic Author

Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 triumph trophy
    Sold Trophy due to design flaw/safety issue
    on: Dec 31, 2018, 06.05 am
    Dec 31, 2018, 06.05 am
    This will be my last post on this forum, since I have sold my 2014 Trophy due to a potentially catastrophic engine failure. I will keep this brief, but riders of this bike should be aware:
    In May of this year my wife and I were returning home from touring Colorado when I attempted to pass a semi on a 2 lane road. Normally not an issue-plenty of power. This time though twisting the throttle gave me much less response, and we almost didn't make the pass with a car heading towards us. We limped home, stalling out a couple times. Took the bike to my dealer and a great mechanic, who found the problem.
    As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, there is a design flaw with the Trophy's airbox. There are 2 small holes behind the air filter, the size of a ink pen point. These holes allow unfiltered air to pass directly into the engine. Over 50K + miles of riding this unfiltered air had managed to burn all the exhaust valves, ruined the cylinder heads and the piston rings to the point where I was operating on about 1 1/2 cylinders. Triumph knew about this issue(based on what my mechanic told me the Triumph rep mentioned to him when he brought it up) but no action was taken(no TSB issued or recalls). To Triumph's credit after several months of my dealer fighting for me to get this resolved, Triumph paid for the parts needed for repairs(approx $5000) as a good faith gesture since the bike was out of warranty. However, I was stuck with a $1700 labor charge  they would not cover. The bike basically has a new top end(and also my 3rd final drive due to the infamous oil leak-covered under extended warranty).
    I had numerous other smaller issues covered under warranty during my ownership, but this episode was the last straw. I no longer trust the brand, and certainly the Trophy.

I replaced the Trophy with a 2014 BMW R1200 RT, which in all honesty beats the Trophy in practically every measurable way, especially 60-70 lbs lighter with a much lower COG and much easier to handle in low speed maneuvers. I really enjoyed the Trophy at the beginning, but had I had a chance to purchase a used RT rather than the new Trophy the choice would have been easy.

I am writing this not to bad mouth Triumph as much as I am warning Trophy riders to be aware of this issue, and a fairly simple remedy. I found out too late that simply plugging those 2 little holes with some silicone or something similar will correct the problem. Those holes have no conceivable purpose-seems like a casting issue with the air box mold.

To all my fellow riders-ride safe, be aware and keep the rubber side down.

Peace

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10004

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Sold Trophy due to design flaw/safety issue
    Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07.53 am
    Dec 31, 2018, 07.53 am
    Sorry to hear of this, and sorry to see you go.  :161:

Thanks for letting us know. 

I find it quite difficult to believe that a small amount of "unfiltered air" could cause such a
    catastrophic failure, and wonder if there is anything else at play here.   :084:

I'm assuming that the five Services were all carried out ( 3 x 10,000 mile and 2 x 20,000 mile )
    to Triumph recommendations ?

I found a Topic with Photo's of the Airbox holes referred to here :

Dirty Butterflies and Holes in Airbox!!!

It would be interesting to know what Triumph think of this, but I doubt we will !

Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 02.10 pm by Coconut

• Offline Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    668

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08.21 am
    Dec 31, 2018, 08.21 am
    My BSA Golden Flash has had no air filters at all and I've covered 80,000 miles on the same top end and bores. Just saying, like 🤔  Mind, there isn't much dust around Tyneside 😂😂😂  I think the flies and wasps that get sucked in add to the lubrication....
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03.04 pm
    Dec 31, 2018, 03.04 pm
    This seems to be design feature for triumph! The Tiger 1050 has the same issue, I believe the hole(S) are meant to let condensation out? Not 100% on that but I plugged the hole on my tiger after reading a similar post.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2018, 04.49 pm
    Dec 31, 2018, 04.49 pm
    Glad to of seen this post, well done for raising it  :047:.
    I'm going to change the usual parts on my bike, It's due it's 20k service, I may just get my local Triumph Dealer to check the valve clearances, as I'm not over confident to do this , or have the shims anyway, the rest I'm more than happy to do / confidant doing it. 
    Paul Wilko

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07.31 pm
    Dec 31, 2018, 07.31 pm
    *Originally Posted by GavJ [+]
    This seems to be design feature for triumph! The Tiger 1050 has the same issue, I believe the hole(S) are meant to let condensation out? Not 100% on that but I plugged the hole on my tiger after reading a similar post.

There is certainly a difference in the size of the holes, the Tiger ones are much larger. :006:

• Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro  ‐    100
    • Topic Author

Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 triumph trophy
    Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09.58 pm
    Dec 31, 2018, 09.58 pm
    Coconut
    To answer your question all the required maintenance was done by my dealer, in a timely fashion, in fact more frequently than needed. I risked a lot of $$$ to have my mechanic break the bike down to find the issue. He took numerous photos and gave Triumph every bit of info they requested along with all the photos, and it still took months of my dealer badgering them until they finally agreed with their assessment and reluctantly paid for all the parts(but no labor). My biggest issue here is that they KNEW about this issue and did nothing until they had to(in case I was the litiguous type, which I'm not).

You seem to have an in with Triumph and/or their representatives, so maybe you can save someone else all the hassle(and risk) that I experienced.

FWIW
    Thanks

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10004

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2018, 10.05 pm
    Dec 31, 2018, 10.05 pm
    You seem to have an in with Triumph and/or their representatives ...

Simply not true, I am just another Trophy Owner.

I have no connections with Triumph other than being a Customer of theirs,
    and having a reasonable relationship with the Staff at my local Dealership.

Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 02.09 pm by Coconut

tweedy-bunch