Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Sold Trophy due to design flaw/safety issue  (Read 3281 times)

Offline demonbane

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: Stirling
Re: Sold Trophy due to design flaw/safety issue
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »
"such engine damage would be more likely to be caused
by prolonged use of an unspecified grade of fuel, or the use of fuel additives,
or the wrong ECU Tune, or other ECU Issue resulting in less than optimal
fuel / air ratios and / or Ignition Timing etc."

yep, nowt to do with little holes in air box.

bit like saying that aluminium foil hat stopped me getting abducted by aliens

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:32 PM »
I've seen drain holes in other air boxes and they don't seem to affect engines in those bikes so I'd think it's a non issue on a Trophy.  My fluid dynamics are a little rusty, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think there would be very little air flow through those holes because they are so small.  The air pressure would actually act like a dam once a small amount of air was sucked in.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »
.... that aluminium foil hat stopped me getting abducted by aliens ....

Now he tells me !  :138:    :171:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 01:41:56 AM »
BMWU has great marketing and makes a good product.

I have looked at BMWU each time I wanted a new motorcycle and ended up with a  Triumph.
BMWU had a problem with the  suspension and took the RT off the market so I knew what I had to do when I was looking for a new ride.
TROPHY

I have driven an M5 with a V10 and it was a great car, they make a good product but it is a  taste.

I went to the motorcycle show last weekend in Dallas TX and BMWU had the largest display.
No Triumphs were there, I’m not surprised but I’m sure that if people knew that Triumph made Motorcycles’s and had a history that would put HD as 2nd  The millennial’s would be crazy about buying it!

The only reason people buy BMWs is because they know about the cars.

If the TR6 GT was still going!!!!!!!

IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline Robster

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Caerphilly
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
My Bandit has a drain hose from the airbox with a plug on the end, if you saw how much water drains out of that thing you would never plug up a drainage hole.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:03 PM »
My Z1 just has a hose hanging down open to the world below the swingarm pivot.
My KLR has such a hose, but it's plugged and you are advised to pull the plug and drain it periodically.  Stock plug falls out and must be replaced usually.
Africa Twin has 3 such hoses, plugged, drained every 4000 miles per manual, one usually has quite a bit of oil in it, other 2 are dry.

Here's a picture of my K&N before cleaning after a run in Texas during the Live Oak bloom....  and the throttle bodies immediately after pulling the airbox.  Not that dirty really, though still more than I'd hope.
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 06:28:43 AM »
Here is my theory regarding the issue. The problem isn't the tiny holes in the air box which are there to drain any condensation. The problem is the design of the air filter and how it mounts in the air box. The design is a crappy one which allows crap to get by the air filter, and I'm talking about stuff that is bigger than dust particles, things like sand even bugs. The Trophy's air box has a clear plastic bowl at it's back end in the area of the air box that is suppose to contain only clean filtered air. Every time I've checked the air box, after removing the fuel tank, I have found all kinds of crap in that clear plastic bowl, sand, bugs, dirt.

My theory is all this junk which has gotten past the air filter, gets eaten by the engine which isn't good for the valves, allowing them to wear into their seats, closing the valve clearance to the point that the exhaust valves wont completely close and gets burnt. The Trophy's recommended valve inspection is every 20k miles, but if the valves/seats are being damaged by what's getting past the air filter, 20k miles may be too many miles to go between valve clearance inspections before catastrophic valve/seat damage occurs. I currently have 32k miles on my Trophy and I myself last did the valve inspection at 21k miles. During that inspection 5 exhaust and 3 intake valves had closed up and needed to be adjusted, and that was on a cylinder head which had been replaced at 10k miles under warranty. I have ordered a new Trophy service kit and upon receiving it I plan on inspecting the valve clearance again. I can almost guaranty the valves clearances will have significantly closed up since the last inspection. I'll let you know what I find.

I remember another member here who posted he put a small camera into his Trophy's air box on the clean air side, while shining a bright light on the front air box intake side. He stated he could see light getting past the air filter's circumference. If I remember correctly, he said he used silicone sealant to seal the filter in the frame which holds it in the air box. I think I'll give that a try.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:32:34 AM by azccj »
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
Would it be better to glue some medium density foam (or mesh) over the holes rather than block them off...?

Draining is still possible while crap is kept out.
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.