Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Worcestershire and Herefordshire  (Read 449 times)

Offline City Of Trees

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Stourport-on-Severn
Worcestershire and Herefordshire
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »
The sun was shining so I decided I simply had to visit the furthest-away facility operated by my employer. A 100 mile round trip on flowing single carriageway through glorious countryside, out to the Welsh border and back - Stourport to Kington for the locals, returning via Leominster.

Anyway, sitting astride the Trophy, getting into the flow (these bikes really do handle!), mind unwinding, feeling all happy and poetic I suddenly realised the bike was on fire  :005:.

I hopped off the bike as quick as I could, automatically calculating the success rate of a personal (trouser-based) fire extinguisher vs the risk of standing in close proximity to a tank of fuel on a burning bike when ....... I realised the bike wasn't on fire - no smoke, no heat, no sign  :027:

Assuming I was more hungover than I realised I hopped back onboard and moved off slowly. 1/4 mile down, no fire. 1/2 mile down no fire... or maybe....arrrghhhh!!!! Smoke billowing from the back of the bike, smoke billowing out of the fairing around the headstock. Bale! Bale! Bale! Fortunately I landed in the Baiting House Inn and had a chance to properly assess the bike in the carpark. It must be friction based if it only happens when I move - check the disks, check the wheels - all fine. Check the tyres - all fine, just that stripe of water on the rear. Wait a minute, water doesn't sit in stripes, closer inspection...

Turns out the tyre picked up something on the road which hit the steel hugger bracket with enough force to curl it into the tyre. I'm glad I stopped when I did....

As for the Baiting House Inn, best place I've ever been stranded - awesome staff, awesome food and an intrepid, feral London Scotsman who'd stopped for a break on his tour aboard a Sinnis 125.
"Where you headed?"
"Dunno, what's the point of touring if you know where you're headed?!"
"Well, when I was your age I made it to the Highlands on my first bike, just saying...."
"Hmmmm, I best get on the road!"

Anyway, bike was recovered to Motorbikes 4 All in Malvern who were already pencilled in to replace the alternator. I received a phonecall letting me know they've removed the hugger and fitted a new tyre FoC!!!

Proof, yet again, that it's all about the journey - things get interesting when plans start to unravel....

Oh, and it was also far more fun that sitting in an office all day!

Anyway, Happy New Year folks, and safe / happy / interesting riding to us all!

:821:

City of Trees

Online Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
Re: Worcestershire and Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
WOW, Never heard of that happening before, you had a lucky one.
I was down your way yesterday, met up with some friends in Kidderminster, and we went to Queens wood Café, Hope under Dinsmore, then up to the Food Stop, Quatt, Bridgenorth for more tea.

Looks like you went down the same roads as us  :745:

Paul Wilko

Offline City Of Trees

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 05:51:14 PM »
Haha, yeah I’ve never heard of it happening before either. No sign of the offending item either, just a slash across the tyre where it picked up. Whatever it was, it certainly gave me a surprise!

Looks like we did go down the same road, I’ll let you go first next time!  :745:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:43 PM »
My wife has relatives that live in Weobley.  They used to live in Wales with a view from the back their hilltop house of the mountain.  Love the area around Hereford, Weobley especially.  Hope we can go back sometime.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline City Of Trees

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 04:07:20 PM »
It is a lovely part of the world and a motorcycling delight - great roads, scenery and not too busy.

I hope you make it back at some point.