TTSE tank bag and trailer hitch by bigcountry
[Today at 02:49:52 AM]

FACTORY REFURBISHED SENA'S WITH FULL 2 YR WARRANTY by trophied
[Today at 02:30:43 AM]

Comfort seat review by Traxx
[Yesterday at 11:12:10 PM]

Seat heater easy way by digital
[Yesterday at 11:08:10 PM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Top box rack  (Read 1079 times)

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
Re: Top box rack
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Offline BTB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Caerphilly
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:46:06 PM »
Now purchased a Givi rack the same as Spl383’s photos earlier in the thread. Intend to fit it when it arrives. Any specific tips on fitting would be good. Have taken the coloured lid off the top box and it appears pretty flimsy and doesn’t look like it would take any weight at all without getting stress fractures etc. I appreciate only light items are to be placed on the rack (waterproofs etc) but I am questioning whether there needs to be any reinforcement underneath the lid between the coloured lid and the inner cover? Would this help support and spread the load? I know this sounds cautious but just want to make sure I do it right. Any comments or photos would be appreciated.

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 03:46:37 PM »
Hi BTB, this is mine, it was fitted by the previous owner, he had the bike from new, I hope this helps, I did have a roll bag fitted to it with clothes inside, rode the bike to Bulgaria with it there, about 2000 miles to my destination with no issues at all, I have spoken to another TTSE owner who had the same rack, although it is the wrong way around, it gives better clearance to fit, he said, also, it stops anything from falling off the back, which I agree with.

https://cdn.img.triumph-trophy.com/20190110_152246.jpg
https://cdn.img.triumph-trophy.com/20190110_152225.jpg
https://cdn.img.triumph-trophy.com/20190110_151735.jpg
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:54:32 PM by Wilko »
Paul Wilko

Offline spl383

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 04:47:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by BTB [+]
Now purchased a Givi rack the same as Spl383’s photos earlier in the thread. Intend to fit it when it arrives. Any specific tips on fitting would be good. Have taken the coloured lid off the top box and it appears pretty flimsy and doesn’t look like it would take any weight at all without getting stress fractures etc. I appreciate only light items are to be placed on the rack (waterproofs etc) but I am questioning whether there needs to be any reinforcement underneath the lid between the coloured lid and the inner cover? Would this help support and spread the load? I know this sounds cautious but just want to make sure I do it right. Any comments or photos would be appreciated.

Yes you need to reinforce between.  I put fender washers between the inner and outer shell.  I taped them on the inner so they would stay there then pushed through with the bolts.  I also put neoprene washers under the rack. 

Offline BTB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:51 PM »
Makes sense with the neoprene washers under the rack so there is a little bit of ‘cushion’ between the metal rack and the lid. So the fender washers went inside the lid (on the opposite side to the neoprene) and further fender washers on the inside of the inner cover and then just pass the bolts through? Makes sense. Will give it a go when it arrives. Got a spare coloured lid coming too!!!!! I can understand why others have fitted the rack the wrong way round as it provides support from things moving and falling off but not sure about the aesthetics? Any thoughts anyone?

Offline BTB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 05:12:15 PM »
Cheers for the photos Wilco

Offline BTB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 11:17:10 PM »
Managed to pluck up the courage to finally drill through the top box - pretty pleased with the result. Took me a couple of hours to finish having to work through some issues but worth it

Offline BTB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 11:19:22 PM »
All said and done, I spent longer on it than I should but wanted to make sure it’s well fitted and supported. Still nerve racking making the first drill hole