Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Throttle Body Balancing  (Read 286 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Throttle Body Balancing
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:56:22 PM »
Balancing the throttle bodies isn't that bad once you get the bodywork off. I'd already replaced the coolant, spark plugs and air filter so it made sense to go ahead and do that since I was already most of the way there.

The first thing I did was clean the throttle bodies with carb/fuel injector cleaner, a rag and q-tips.

I reinstalled the gas tank and battery so I could start the engine and balance the throttle bodies.

I only needed to adjust number one slightly clockwise to achieve balance. Curiously, mine were at 75, 74,and 74 which is quite a bit higher than other numbers I've seen here.  I wonder if it has to do with altitude?

The only issue I had was with the blanking screw.  Its a T30 torx screw, but it had a small protuberance in the middle and none of my torx sockets or screwdrivers would fit  It's in the lower left in the picture with the yellow paint on it.  I loosed it with a pair of vice grips and then drilled it out after I removed it.  I'm sure there is some kind of special tool that fits, but this worked okay.

Now to put it all back together.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:03:26 PM by Ernest T »

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Raleigh nc
Re: Throttle Body Balancing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 04:23:01 AM »
Sure wish I had your skills. Nice job!

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by rvbobby [+]
Sure wish I had your skills. Nice job!

Thank you, I have a lot of self taught skills, mostly gained by reading the manual and diving in.  I've learned over time that you really can't screw up anything that a new part can't fix! :008:

The Triumph manual is very well written and illustrated.  There are only a few shortcomings which aren't major.  For instance, it tells you to pry the edge of the mirror out to gain access to the indicator connector.  It neglects to tell you which edge to pull out, but it only took a few seconds to figure out which way is correct.

I'd say if you can bake a cake from a recipe, you can do all the maintenance on the Trophy. 

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
That screw is an anti tamper type,...I bought a set of smaller T bits with holes in the center of them a few years ago, you could just drill an hole in the T30 you have, assuming that you have a drill bit that's hard enough and a milling machine or drill press and vice at the least.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
That screw is an anti tamper type,...I bought a set of smaller T bits with holes in the center of them a few years ago, you could just drill an hole in the T30 you have, assuming that you have a drill bit that's hard enough and a milling machine or drill press and vice at the least.

Not any more!  I contemplated drilling a torx socket out, but once I was able to break the screw loose with the vice grips, it was easier to drill out the screw than the socket.