Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: 20000 mile service started  (Read 2915 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    20000 mile service started
    on: Jan 17, 2019, 07.49 pm
    Jan 17, 2019, 07.49 pm
    Evening all, I started to commence the 20000 mile service, okay it's now at 23000, but anyway, I'm doing it slowly, during the day when I get home from work, work's quiet  :161:, so making the best of the time.

Having removed the crash bars and all body parts, my back yard is looking like a Triumph body supplier  :008:..I drained the tank, note to one's self, do not fill it next time before starting the work  :164:, fortunately I found a clean container to drain the fuel into at one of my clients.

Tank drained, all connections disconnected, following other members posts on here for instruction / hints etc and said tank removed, I have to admit, I was a little surprised by the size of it, don't know why though.

Airbox removed, filter replaced, and laid to one side, again, surprised by how clean it was for the mileage.
    Spark plugs removed and laid to one side.
    Now the part of no return, I have to admit, and with a bit of trepidation,  I removed the camshaft cover...fiddly I thought,. .crankshaft cover taken off, applied a 24mm socket and turned the engine over to I could measure the gap between the cam bucket and cam shaft, all according to the clearances given in the workshop manual, so happy day's, I celebrated with a cup of tea  :821:..It's at this point I must say, I'm doing this work outdoors in the cold  :190:.

Anyway, I refitted the cam and crankshaft covers using new gaskets, and also the plug tower seals, torqued everything back up and installed new spark plugs, and called it a day for today.

I can't express how happy I am with the valve clearances, my local Triumph dealer quoted me 250 -300 to do this, the price included parts I will say, on top of that price would of been a fee of 50 to collect and return the bike, they are 5 minutes from me  :005:.

If I can get finished early tomorrow I will continue, failing that it will be the weekend. I feel it's taking me a while to get it done, but doing bits every now and then, and with no garage, I think I'm doing okay.
    I'm not mechanically trained, but have a mechanical background. I have worked on a few vehicles, rebuilt engines etc, this is the first time for me to do such involved work on a motorbike give me a Scania V8 engine any day lol.

All I believe left to do is, check / lubricate the headstock, and replace the engine oil / filter, and petrol filter, then rebuild the bike.

The final drive oil was drained and replace, and rear suspension bearings were all greased before me and the wife took the bike across Europe last August, so I'm happy not to do these this time around.
    All parts I have used are Genuine Triumph, I fitted 1 spark plug then decided to photo them  :138:

It say on the air filter packet, to be fitted by a trained mechanic, so I must be trained  :745:
    The water on the cover still frozen at 2pm, we had blue sky's, and the sun was shining  :114:

Last Edit: Jan 17, 2019, 08.41 pm by Wilko
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: 20000 mile service started
    Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08.20 pm
    Jan 17, 2019, 08.20 pm
    Hi Wilko,

Sounds like you're doing a great job !  :028:

Your Photo's still don't show up in your Posts though - unless they are clicked on ...

If there's still time before the ability to "Modify" ( Edit ) your Posts times out,
    you could highlight each line for each Photo and click the "Insert Image" button -
    It's the one directly below the "B" button :  It says "Insert Image" if you hover over it.

This will enclose the highlighted Text with the "img" and ]b]"/img"[/b] tags ( In Square brackets ).

Save the Changes to the Post and those Images will appear without having to be clicked on !  :169:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 29, 2020, 06.51 pm by Coconut

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08.28 pm
    Jan 17, 2019, 08.28 pm
    Hahahaah, I can take the bike apart and rebuild it, but to do what to the photo's  :745:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08.43 pm
    Jan 17, 2019, 08.43 pm
    Yay, I'm a computer expert too  :745:  :046:

Thanks Coconut  :821:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08.56 pm
    Jan 17, 2019, 08.56 pm
    Much better !  :047:

For next time - when you're in your Gallery Album, Click on the Photo you want
    and find the First Line of Text underneath, Headed "BB Code for Forum Posts"

Hover over that and on the right of the text Box a "Copy" button will appear.
    Click that, then go to the Message you are composing and "Paste" the text
    ( by right clicking and selecting Paste, or pressing CTRL and "V" on your Keyboard ).

The correct Code will then be pasted into the message
    so the Photo appears without needing to be clicked on  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 29, 2020, 06.51 pm by Coconut

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2019, 03.57 pm
    Jan 19, 2019, 03.57 pm
    Today, Saturday 19th, I replaced the fuel filter in the tank, this is as far as I got today, tomorrow, Sunday 20th, I will rebuild the bike, after draining the oil and replacing the filter, the weather is looking slightly warmer    :190: :350: lol, the next time I will wait until I have a garage to do this work, but by then, I will be living in Bulgaria with 30+ degrees temperature, and a big out building to do the work in  :152:

Anyway, spot the difference, I will cut the old filter open, I'm curious just to see how dirty it is and what it's made from.

As always, I have used new gaskets, and Triumph recommended Items, I may be wrong, but I think "Mahle" make the fuel filters for Triumph.
    Paul Wilko

• Offline rvbobby   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    416

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Raleigh nc
    Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12.15 am
    Jan 20, 2019, 12.15 am
    There is a fellow on Triumph Facebook doing the same thing.But he is Wilkinson :745: Great job.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03.30 pm
    Jan 20, 2019, 03.30 pm
    rvbobby

That's scary  :745:...he's my twin brother, with the exact same bike  :153: :153:  :164:
    Paul Wilko