Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Trip Advice - Nice, FR to Vienna, AU thru the Alps  (Read 2775 times)

• Offline PoconoTTSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    65
    • Topic Author

Offline PoconoTTSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Poconos
    Trip Advice - Nice, FR to Vienna, AU thru the Alps
    on: Jan 18, 2019, 09.22 pm
    Jan 18, 2019, 09.22 pm
    Looking for any thoughts from anyone who has ridden the alps section A22, https://goo.gl/maps/Q7X7rQvft342 I guess most helpful would be watch out for or cautions, like long stretches without gas/petrol or high wind area or Big Foot and of course, make sure you stop at this little town, pub, scenic view.  This is coming together much quicker than I would have thought.  Doing this in Late June early July.  Thanks!

• Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro  ‐    220

Offline ikkieman

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Silver Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Gouda
    Re: Trip Advice - Nice, FR to Vienna, AU thru the Alps
    Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2019, 11.03 am
    Jan 19, 2019, 11.03 am
    Seriously? Through the alps on the highway? I really don't get you yanks.
    Best way to do it from Nice to Vienna is to take as much passes as you can. The Stelviopass is right around the corner. The Grossglockner... Riding around Lago di Como.
    On a good day you can get through about 100-150 miles on the passes and take a bit more time to enjoy... well, pretty much everything. The clear sky, snow in july on the tops, good food, twisty roads and a damn more to see than a mountaintop in the distance. You could be on that mountaintop with a smile on your face and the scream of your triple finally getting to stretch its legs.
    Instead of running through 800 miles of near straight roads.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

• Offline PoconoTTSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    65
    • Topic Author

Offline PoconoTTSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02.27 pm
    Jan 19, 2019, 02.27 pm
    I don't want to say time is of the essence, but it is somewhat limited.  First night (Monday) is down in Genoa, I could conceivably take 2 days to travel through the Alps but need to be in Vienna by Thursday and this is why I posted I am looking for suggestions of routing and perhaps where the best place to stop over to break it up.  I was hoping not to do more than 150-200 miles on the Alps leg(s) to allow time to see what I need to.   

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09.51 am
    Jan 20, 2019, 09.51 am
    Have a look on Google maps to divert your journey a little. It looks like around 600 miles direct, but you could easily do the Grossglockner and a couple of other passes. Just zoom in on a road and if it is bendy, go for it. The old St Gotthard is good, but takes some finding and south to north is best in my opinion and is still surfaced in granite blocks most of the way. Have you considered going north from Genoa and through Como (home of Moto Guzzi and an excellent museum, but might be tight time wise) and the Italian lakes? Plenty of fuel in the valleys before the passes and the weather should be okay that time of year. Switzerland is beautiful but every expensive. Are you able to travel back to Genoa with a little more time to spare and are you using a car or bike. Don't forget you will need a vignette (pass to use the motorways) in Switzerland and Austria (the latter do one for a day or week if I recall, saves a Swiss "year pass"). Most passes are free to use but the Grossglockner is about 20, but lets you go through the toll booth twice. You can be on it as long as you like if you keep between the booths which are about 25 miles apart. If you are lucky, someone doing a one way trip might give you a pass if they still have no registration number on. Not much time to go to the alps which has so much to see in a relatively small area, enjoy it.  Europe is a bit different to the States in that you don't have mile upon mile of road with nothing to see, then a great place, followed by big miles to the next good bit. Might see you there as Im going myself then, but we will be having a fortnight and wont even scratch the surface of all the best bits.

• Offline PoconoTTSE

• Trophy Member  ‐    65
    • Topic Author

Offline PoconoTTSE

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2019, 02.49 pm
    Jan 20, 2019, 02.49 pm
    Excellent information, especially the toll pass bit.  This was why I initiated the post, the original trip map was done just to give the over view of where I was starting and where I needed to go.  I did a little tinkering and came up with https://goo.gl/maps/GWx6gUMXpgL2 funny though, it would not let me route directly through the Stelvio Pass at this point, as it is 'Closed' (presumably not maintained in the winter).  Thanks again for your input.  Steve

• Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2019, 01.49 am
    Mar 11, 2019, 01.49 am
    I have a similar Q. We ie favourite pillion and I, are planning to spend 12 to 14 days enjoying the passes in this area on a BMW R1250RT(she likes the pillion seat) Thanks for the info re tolls on Grossglockner etc. BTW can we just pay cash at a tollbooth if we need to ? Our Q is re accommodation. We will be there in late Aug or early Sept. We don't want to book accommodation since that would lock us into a set route and risk getting crap weather. Could we book as we go along ? Hotels at the top of Stelvio look good but would they be booked out or snowed in ? Any tips would be welcomed .

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09.13 am
    Mar 11, 2019, 09.13 am
    Hi Mikestrophy,
    Yes you can just pay at the Grossglockner in cash, or card. They are well versed in taking your money!!!
    In almost 40 years of touring, I have only failed to find accommodation twice. Once was Sweden and there was an international youth football tournament on. We did come across a couple of hotels which were 210 for 3 and wouldn't pay. More a case of they were available but we weren't. The other was pre internet days, missing our ferry and getting to France to find it had closed (shortly after 8pm in most places). That meant a night in the car, though I'm sure we could have gone to a large town and found a Formula one or Campanile. I took my tent on two long tours in the last few years (7 weeks and 9500mls, 4 weeks and 6500 mls )and it never got out of the bag and that was eastern Europe, Turkey, Finland, Armenia, there was always somewhere. I sometimes book the first night so we can do a long day to head to off the ferry, also at places I know I will be (bike meetings etc) and sometimes one on the way back near the ferry port. There are up to 4 of us who travel together and if you are troubled by a lack of somewhere that night, just use booking.com at breakfast that day. Another thing I find is the cheaper (2 star) hotels we prefer sometimes sell out fast, though just because they show as full on the booking sites may have a room if you just rock up. This is because the sites take a percentage and not all hoteliers put all of their rooms with them. If you go up a star (or 2!) they mostly have rooms but at a premium. I sometimes ride till 6pm if necessary, but with a group, probably start looking around 4-30. Best thing ever is getting in after a great day and having your first beer with your gear still on (known here as "having a black un"). Europe on the whole is well served by hoteliers who welcome your custom. Only place I ever book for the whole trip is in the UK as it is relatively small and night stops are so close together. I'm thinking of 2 recent trips, a week in wales, the other a week in Scotland where total mileage was around 1000 and I booked every night. Go on, you will love it!!
    Last Edit: Mar 11, 2019, 09.18 am by 1675

• Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Melbourne
    Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08.38 pm
    Mar 11, 2019, 08.38 pm
    Hi 1675.  Thanks for the info. So we should be ok to book as we go which makes things a lot easier. Has anyone stayed at a hotel at the top of Stelvio Pass ? Apologies to PoconoTTSE for hijacking your thread.