Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Replacement broken right angle valve stem on the tire pressure sensors  (Read 3960 times)

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4771
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Replacement broken right angle valve stem on the tire pressure sensors
    on: Jan 23, 2019, 05.19 pm
    Jan 23, 2019, 05.19 pm
    I think I finally found the solution for the right angle valve stems on the pressure sensors that are subject to breakage by anyone replacing a tire that is careless damages them.  JP Cycles has the aluminum ones for an 8mm hole (which I'm pretty sure ours is, since a good stem that screws into one is 8.06mm), and they're only $2.96/ea.  So now if you have an extra set of sensors that are the type that can be opened up and have tabbed CR2032 replacement batteries soldered onto the leads from the circuit board and/or someone breaks a valve stem, you can fix the problem.  I have an extra set of sensors because of just such a scenario, and I'll get fresh batteries for a set and when I have tires changed I'll have them put the replacement sensors in with fresh power and never have the low battery issue.  My dealer doesn't charge to program the sensors if they mount tires, and they match online prices on tires for me, so it's a no brainer.  I'll double check the stems when they come in next week to make sure they fit the sensors and if not I'll post a cautionary notice about them.  They just don't have the "Triumph" name on them.
    Here's the link for you perusal:
    https://www.jpcycles.com/search/searchNtt=right+angle+valve+stem&N=28012732&Ntk=All&SessionMotorcycleDimensionValueId=
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Replacement broken right angle valve stem on the tire pressure sen
    Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05.57 pm
    Jan 23, 2019, 05.57 pm
    Great find Glenn  :028:

( But check your Link - Doesn't work for me )

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 29, 2020, 06.37 pm by Coconut

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4771
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06.28 pm
    Jan 23, 2019, 06.28 pm
    This should work:
    https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz21730/k-l-supply-co-right-angle-valve-stem

I ordered 4 of them and only need one so in case someone needs one and can't get them immediately I have 3 spares.

Sorry about that.
    Glenn
    Last Edit: Jan 23, 2019, 06.30 pm by trophied

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4771
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02.17 am
    Feb 01, 2019, 02.17 am
    Update on the valve stems.  They fit the thread in the sensor, but not a tight well machined fit, and the threaded shank is shorter than the originals, or my good Triumph, but not for the Trophy straight valve stem.  My question if anyone can answer it is what is the thickness of the rim at the valve stem.  Yeah, I know, why would anyone have ever measured that.  It does have the O-ring seal on the rim side of the stem, so I'm guessing that as long as it has enough thread engagement to get tight against the rim it would work.  At the very least, they might be an emergency solution, and at best, they are a lot cheaper than buying new sensors! :821:

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05.19 pm
    Feb 01, 2019, 05.19 pm
    Do Ariete's fit? I would think they would: https://www.ariete.com/en/road/accessories/valves/valves

They're going to be a lot more money than the one's posted, however. I have them on my CBR, but there's no TPMS on that bike.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4771
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08.54 pm
    Feb 01, 2019, 08.54 pm
    The threaded shank on those looks to be the same length as the ones I got, but the ones I bought have an O-ring seal on the flange face like the genuine Triumph stems.  As a matter of fact, except for the seal washer the whole thing looks like the one I got, but mine only came in polished aluminum.  Here's the rub with the ones I got, the od of the shank is 7.63mm, and the od of the old one that was broken during tire replacement is 8.03mm, and the extra one in the kit they had to buy to fix what they broke is 8.05mm.  They all thread into the pressure monitor female sleeve fine, but the larger one has much more secure thread engagement.  I haven't tried tightening up one of the smaller shank right angle stems in a sensor to check to see if it would strip the threads before it got tight or not, but it feels slightly sloppy being smaller od.  The od difference between the Triumph and the others in American terms is .0157, or 157 ten thousandths of an inch.  Hmmmm.
    Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 09.14 pm by trophied

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4771
    • Topic Author

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10.22 pm
    Feb 01, 2019, 10.22 pm
    Some pictures may be in order:

• Offline ndursun

• Trophy Member  ‐    74

Offline ndursun

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Akyaka
    Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09.17 am
    Feb 02, 2019, 09.17 am
    Lately my 2014 started to show TPMS low battery. To solve the needs at one go I purchased a set of new tires https://anlas.com/product-search/?SECTIONWIDTH=190&SECTIONRATE=55&WHEEL=17
    a set of CR2032 batteries for tpms and finally a set of angled Alligator valve stems 8.3

https://www.alligator-valve-factory.com/frontend/project/popup_variation.php?function=5732_popup&aid=5732&artnr=447505
    My question is that will I have any  problems while fitting these valve stems to the tpms unit after replacing the batteries?

tweedy-bunch