Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Some things you've shared and I've learned ........  (Read 2418 times)

• Offline freeride4tom

• Trophy Pro  ‐    117
    • Topic Author

Offline freeride4tom

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Justin, TX
    Some things you've shared and I've learned ........
    on: Jan 31, 2019, 12.33 am
    Jan 31, 2019, 12.33 am
    Just a few things I've needed to address since owning this bike ( I do love it) and feel this is fairly minor stuff IF addressed early. All of these issues have been discussed as separate topics and I'm very thankful this forum brought it to my attention so I could inspect/fix my bike:

1. My throttle bodies were dirty (twice) during filter changes. I filled the little drain holes in the air
        box except the one at the snorkel for rain and added lightweight weatherstrip foam to seal the
        filter against the air box in the middle. I could see an air gap inside the air box using a mirror
        and flashlight there. Some have used silicone or grease to seal this gap.

2. The shift and brake lever pivot bolts have a weak area at the thread to bushing point, mine
        was bent and dry without lube. I drilled out the bolt/bushing (threaded portion), and used a
        hardened steel bolt through it, then used marine grease, like others have done.

3. Check your shock/ linkage needle bearings, mine were near dry and waiting to fail. My linkage
        bolt was backwards also:821:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10229

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Some things you've shared and I've learned ........
    Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09.41 am
    Jan 31, 2019, 09.41 am
     :460:

It's what the Forum is all about !  :028:

Last Edit: Jan 26, 2020, 04.54 pm by Coconut

• Offline CAM

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline CAM

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: '14 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Comox
    Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2019, 10.53 pm
    Jan 31, 2019, 10.53 pm
    *Originally Posted by freeride4tom [+]
    Just a few things I've needed to address since owning this bike ( I do love it) and feel this is fairly minor stuff IF addressed early. All of these issues have been discussed as separate topics and I'm very thankful this forum brought it to my attention so I could inspect/fix my bike:
    2. The shift and brake lever pivot bolts have a weak area at the thread to bushing point, mine
        was bent and dry without lube. I drilled out the bolt/bushing (threaded portion), and used a
        hardened steel bolt through it, then used marine grease, like others have done.

Has anyone asked Triumph if these bolts were a Sheer Bolt design feature to prevent engine case damage in the event of a blow to the shifter? I would not replace a mild steel bolt with a SS hard one on my bike, rather, I made sure mine was easily removed if sheared and I carry a spare.

• Online trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5150

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02.11 am
    Feb 01, 2019, 02.11 am
    I have spares on the bike, tools to fix it, and lube to apply to the new one.  Yep, it could be done on the side of the road if absolutely necessary.  Wouldn't be fun, but it could be done.  Even a parking lot would resemble doing on my garage floor, and that wasn't an issue. :028:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline freeride4tom

• Trophy Pro  ‐    117
    • Topic Author

Offline freeride4tom

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Justin, TX
    Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 02.36 am
    Feb 01, 2019, 02.36 am
    *Originally Posted by CAM [+]
    Has anyone asked Triumph if these bolts were a Sheer Bolt design feature to prevent engine case damage in the event of a blow to the shifter? I would not replace a mild steel bolt with a SS hard one on my bike, rather, I made sure mine was easily removed if sheared and I carry a spare.
    You are probably correct regarding the shear factor. I may replace with a mild steel bolt but I'm not a fan of the bolt design and I factored in my safety factor if I suddenly lost my shift or brake pedal(my brake bolt was already bent). :821:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

• Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member  ‐    73

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Oceanside, CA
    Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2019, 12.03 am
    Feb 02, 2019, 12.03 am
    I have the 2017 model. Do I still have to worry about these? Have they been fixed by Triumph?
    Matt Kas
    Oceanside, CA
    2017 TTSE, 2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09.24 am
    Feb 02, 2019, 09.24 am
    Just grease them both every year would be my advice and don't reassemble with Loctite

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07.27 pm
    Feb 02, 2019, 07.27 pm
    Mentioned above was the bearings on the swingarm/suspension/shock area out back.  As many know, Bambi took me out at the end of Nov this last year.  While bike was in shop the swingarm was removed for repair.  I was right at 20k on the odo and all the bearings needed replaced already!  I think there must be a grease shortage in England maybe??

Anywho, all new bearings in swingarm/wishbone area.  And I rode the bike home yesterday!  Whoot!

If it were me: Plan to grease/service ALL those bearings at your first 10k service.
    Year round rider here!

tweedy-bunch