Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Is TPMS sensor hermetically sealed?  (Read 3537 times)

• Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline Matt Kas

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Blue TTSE
    • City / Town: Oceanside, CA
    Is TPMS sensor hermetically sealed?
    on: Feb 12, 2019, 04.25 am
    Feb 12, 2019, 04.25 am
    There is a very slow leak on my front tire. I am thinking of using Ride On Tire sealant and balancer. But there is disclaimer at the Ride on Manufacturer site that if the TMPS sensor is not hermetically sealed then ride on is not recommended. Therefore, I need to know if TMPS sensors on my 2017 TTSE are hermetically sealed or not?

https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tpms

Thanks in advance,
    Matt Kas
    Oceanside, CA
    2017 TTSE, 2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

• Offline Traxx

• Trophy Pro  ‐    185

Offline Traxx

• Trophy Pro
    • La Bruja Negra
    • Bike: 17 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fort Worth
    Re: Is TPMS sensor hermetically sealed?
    Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06.59 am
    Feb 12, 2019, 06.59 am
    Not sure if the TPMS sensor is sealed or not. But I don't think that I would rely on the ride on to fix the tire. Those sealants usually cause issues later on when changing the tire.
    A spray bottle of soap, and check to see if your valve stem is tight.
    17 Tropy SE Phantom Black The FASTEST color
    TOH # 678
    IBA # 71308

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07.32 am
    Feb 12, 2019, 07.32 am
    Not 100% sure but I believe that both types exist, sealed types have become the norm now in most vehicles.

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08.04 am
    Feb 12, 2019, 08.04 am
    I've never used the Ride On Tire sealant but I know people who have and they said "Never again".   They mentioned bad handling and uneven ride. 

My tyre supplier, an independent, always ask me if I use sealant and I get the impression they would not change the tyre if it had sealant in it. 

Have the tyre and rim checked and if need be change both.

Phil

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4878

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02.36 pm
    Feb 12, 2019, 02.36 pm
    I had Ride On sealant in a tire that got a puncture so large it couldn't seal it and when it was changed the dealer had no complaints.  Ride On is water based, so it's not the sticky goo that most sealants are and it doesn't get all over the rim.  I never had any issues with balancing or handling at all with it installed.  There are TWO different tire pressure sensors, one is sealed and one is not.  The sealed one is either Swedish or Swiss, I can't remember which, and that is what the dealer replaced my original sensors on my 2013 with under warranty when they had low batteries early on  One of the last ones that was replaced due to being ruined by a tire change (not a Triumph dealer) is the serviceable type that can be opened up as shown by a post about replacing batteries in them.  I have both types.  The top one is the one that can be opened and the battery replaced and the bottom one is the one that is completely sealed, but I have removed the epoxy to reveal the battery (still haven't been able to free up the battery to remove it, but it's still good just had the valve stem broken).
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 07.17 pm
    Feb 12, 2019, 07.17 pm
    Does anyone have a link to a supplier that has sensors with replaceable batteries that will work with our trophys?
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4878

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09.20 pm
    Feb 12, 2019, 09.20 pm
    The extra set I have were  a new old stock set for a Tiger from a dealer that no longer carries Triumph.  The dealer that ruined mine was in a bind to get my bike back because I was leaving town on a trip and they knew that up front so they had to buy anything they could find and they had the replaceable battery housing.  Triumph part number: A9640106 (current number is A9640171) at Bike Bandit is $269.95 for the kit (both sensors and straight valve stems).  The only trick to replacing the battery on the module that can be opened up is finding a battery with the solder tabs installed on it.  I would soap the right angle valve stem at the rim to see if it is leaking, and the valve stem cap, those are the only two places it could leak air regarding the pressure sensor.  The valve stems have an o-ring that seals against the rim when it's threaded into the sleeve on the pressure sensor.  The sensors themselves have no seals that would prevent air leaks, all the parts of the assemblies fit loosely with each other.  The other option is go with one of the systems that installs on the valve stem and has a digital readout you can attach somewhere visible and be done with the OEM system and have the dealer turn the monitor system off with their dealer tool at your next service.
    Last Edit: Feb 12, 2019, 09.22 pm by trophied
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2725

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Trophy SE 1200
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09.30 pm
    Feb 12, 2019, 09.30 pm
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.