Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Anyone thinking about adding an electric to their stable?  (Read 3153 times)

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81
    • Topic Author

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Antioch
    Anyone thinking about adding an electric to their stable?
    on: Feb 27, 2019, 04.12 pm
    Feb 27, 2019, 04.12 pm
    With the new Zero SR/F and the upcoming Lightning Strike it looks like there will be electrics that have the range and performance I want for my daily commute. I'm seriously considering adding one to my stable for daily commuting and relegating my Trophy to longer rides (2+ hours).

Anyone else thinking about possibly adding an electric bike to their collection? If so...which one and why?

Personally I'm leaning towards the new Zero SR/F Premium for the heated grips and stuff (not to mention they seem like the more mature company) but if the Lightning Strike can be similarly equipped for less I'll give them a serious look too.

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    478

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Re: Anyone thinking about adding an electric to their stable?
    Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05.09 pm
    Feb 27, 2019, 05.09 pm
    I'm not thinking about an Electric at the moment but this is something we will all face in the not too distant future.    As petrol runs out it needs to be replaced with an alternative power and electricity seems the obvious choice.   Batteries are lasting longer and takes less time to recharge.   

I did a market research on electric bikes a couple of years ago and initially thought they were very odd.  The research took place at Farnborough airfield and we were allowed to do a couple of circuits.  After a couple of hundred metres I decided to put the bike through its paces and was astonished and the speed and handling.  By the time I had finished I wanted to buy one.  They are perfect for commuting provided you have access to a power supply. 

The really odd thing about them is the noise, or lack of it.   it took me a while to understand that there is no noise from the engine nothing apart form light to indicate the bike is running.   

But... by the end of my couple of laps I was sold.   I think the bikes were built bey BMW. 

Phil

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10014

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 05.58 pm
    Feb 27, 2019, 05.58 pm
    My answer to the orignal question : NO !

... and for Phil : ".... this is something we will all face in the not too distant future.   
    As petrol runs out it needs to be replaced with an alternative power......

I won't need to face that.
    I'm pretty sure my own Power will run out long before we run out of Petrol !  :156:

Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 06.45 pm by Coconut

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10.12 pm
    Feb 27, 2019, 10.12 pm
    Iím on the same bench as Coconut here, each to there own, but no chance me getting an electric bike, then thereís the price, I have actually bought a four bed house and an acre of land for less.  :008:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12.09 am
    Feb 28, 2019, 12.09 am
    I could see the wisdom of considering the purchase of an electric motorcycle for commuting, based on the inherent range limitations. But being a retired codger, I want my bikes (or cars) to be able to carry me much farther than current technology allows. I too can see the day coming where those range concerns will be less of a concern, but I am pretty certain that it will be after my two wheel travels will take place inside my head.   :139:
    Last Edit: Feb 28, 2019, 12.11 am by Saddle Tramp

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4915

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12.32 am
    Feb 28, 2019, 12.32 am
    Anyone that lives in Texas and intends to travel to another state better plan on a 3 day trip if they intend to use an electric.  That or be able to drive 4 hours, sleep 4 hours, drive 4 hours, sleep 4 hours, etc., etc., etc..  A couple of directions across this state it's well over 850 miles.  I can understand an electric for a short commute, but not for me to travel on/in, since we fly very seldom now.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline chememsu

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline chememsu

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Simpsonville, SC
    Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02.48 pm
    Feb 28, 2019, 02.48 pm
    I have taken a Zero out for a quick test ride last summer. As mentioned in an earlier post, the first thing that gets you is the lack of engine noise. Also the lack of a clutch can be discomforting at first. For those that use rev-bombs to alert the lazy cagers, be very careful. A rev-bomb on an electric is ill advised to say the least. Younger riders who have not spent years or decades pulling in a clutch may not have a worry, but for the rest of us it is a big learning curve. I would not advocate having an electric in your stable and maintaining a gas model. The inherent ride characteristics between the two is a recipe for disaster if you are riding one and use the technique of the other in an emergency situation. That is what I learned in my quick test ride. You should either go all-in or go home. Gasoline will be around for decades if not centuries as the internal combustion engine is used for other objects besides vehicles, so any electric will need a minimum range of 500 miles before I would think about converting.

• Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member  ‐    98

Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Andover
    Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04.50 pm
    Feb 28, 2019, 04.50 pm
    I believe that all cars should be electric and leave the petrol (gas) for us bikers!!  :008: