Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Ideas for improving the stereo sound?  (Read 12832 times)

• Offline jid

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline jid

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TrophySE
    • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
    Ideas for improving the stereo sound?
    on: Mar 05, 2019, 05.04 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 05.04 pm
    Iíve read about a couple of people who have changed their speakers to Polk.  And many of those have switched back to stock.  Are there any things that can be done to improve the quality of the sound coming out of the stereo?   I have a BT headset but often prefer to listen without the sound in the helmet.   Thoughts?

• Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9

Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior
    • Let's Ride!
    • Bike: 17 TriumphTrophySE
    • City / Town: Pasadena, Ca
    Re: Ideas for improving the stereo sound?
    Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05.47 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 05.47 pm
    Bump.

I would like to boost the audio output also. Stock is horrible. I would like to add an amp and replace the speakers while using the stock interface to the bike. I like the controls on the bars.

Also Coconut, if you're out there. I cannot play anything through the Satellite radio. From memory it says "no signal" when trying to register. I have the Trophy GPS mount installed with the antenna. I traced it all the way to the radio under the seat and the antenna is connected. There is also a coupler located near the left hand mirror. Any thoughts?

Jid, I connected my Garmin 595LM to the Aux Audio port on the bike. It works great coming through the bike's speakers.

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1480

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07.00 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 07.00 pm
    The satellite radio is by subscription service only.
    If you check the Audio Manual that came with your Trophy, you will find how to sign up for it.

• Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9

Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior
    • Let's Ride!
    • Bike: 17 TriumphTrophySE
    • City / Town: Pasadena, Ca
    Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07.20 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 07.20 pm
    I know that! But I can't even get to channel 1/0 to register it. I have already grabbed my radio id, sent it to Sirius xm and sent activation signal multiple times. Outdoors on a clear day. I suspect that the antenna is not really working well or that the radio may need a firmware update. I have a 2017 Trophy which should not suffer from that firmware issue where the radio does not turn off with the bike.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10201

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09.09 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 09.09 pm
    Also Coconut, if you're out there. I cannot play anything through the Satellite radio.

Of course I am ! - But I don't know much about the XM Satellite Radio
    as it's only for the US & Canadian market.  :018:

As you are aware, there has been a Software update,
    but I doubt this will have anything to do with your problem.

You can easily check what software version you have :

The Radio must be OFF when the Ignition is turned ON.

Turn the Ignition ON ( but don't start the engine ).
    If the Radio is ON - switch it OFF.
    ( Press "Volume -" all the way down to Minimum, Mute and Off ),
    then turn the Ignition OFF, wait for everything to shut down,
    then turn it ON again - without starting the engine.

Once the Ignition has been switched ON with the Radio OFF :
    Press and hold the "P" button until the "DIAGNOSTICS" menu is displayed.
    If necessary - Scroll to the S/W VERSION item, and press Select.

If "Version 1.04A" is displayed this is the OLD "buggy" Version - you NEED "Version 1.04E",
    which is available from your Triumph Dealer.

( Ignore the Line that says "BB SW 0.17A" or similar ).

For the XM Radio problem I would first of all double / triple check that you have provided
    the correct Sirius XM Radio ID.   Select "XM" as the Audio source,
    and then select Channel "0" ( Zero ) - the Sirius XM Radio ID should be displayed
    on the Instrument Panel.  Note that the characters "I", "O", "S" and "F"
    are NOT used in the ID, and can easily be confused with NUMBERS e.g. "1", "0", "5" etc.
    so make sure you have used the NUMBER and not the CHARACTER ( Letter ) !

After calling the Subscription number and providing the ( Correct ! ) Sirius XM Radio ID,
    the Trophy XM Antenna needs to be outside with a clear view of the Southern sky,
    to receive the activation signal.  Tune to Channel ONE and follow the activation instructions.

The process should take around 15 minutes but CAN take up to an hour, so it's probably
    best to do this with the engine running, to reduce the risk of flattening the Main Battery.

If the correct Sirius XM Radio ID has been used, and the above process has been followed,
    but activation doesn't happen, then I would suspect the Antenna, or the the cabling
    from the Antenna to the Audio Unit under the Stowage box, under the Riders seat.

There could also be a fault within the Audio Unit itself.

To check the cabling from the connector to the Audio Unit, have a look to see if the plugs
    and sockets are the same type.  If so you could disconnect the Antenna from that connector
    behind the left mirror pod, remove it from it's mounting position and temporarily connect it
    directly to the Audio Unit.  Unfortunately that will probably require dismantling of the Instrument
    Panel surround to remove the antenna.  As an alternative, can you obtain a good antenna
    that can be plugged directly into the Audio Unit temporarily ?

If you can prove the Antenna and cabling are good, indicating that the Audio Unit is faulty,
    then there IS a repair service available. 

EDITED to add : YOU won't need this if your 2017 Trophy is still under warranty !  :028:

The Audio Unit is manufactured in the U.S. by RadioSound inc. Louisville, KY.
    John Mayhugh is a very helpful contact there :169:  email : customerservice@radiosound.com

There is a LOT of dismantling to carry out to remove the Audio Unit !
    See this Topic : Audio Unit Removal.

There's a Topic here about a Member that used the Repair Service - Cost was US $150 + shipping :
    Radio won't tune anything except XM ......

Keep us posted as to how you get on  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 06.40 pm by Coconut

• Offline jid

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline jid

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10.02 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 10.02 pm
    Well, I have a pair of Polk 402ís I never installed.  And a pair of kicker 41DSC44Dís also laying around.  And Iím bored tonight.  So maybe Iíll try to take the fairing apart to figure this out.  What could possibly go wrong...

• Offline jid

• Trophy Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline jid

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11.36 pm
    Mar 05, 2019, 11.36 pm
    Adding to my own post...  I put a Polk on one side and a kicker on the other.  No lie, the kicker is a more well rounded speaker.  Iím quite surprised.  Kicker going in both.

The Polk is super twangy.  The kicker is balanced and more mid-range.  And a tad more bass. Both fit perfectly as 4Ē replacements.

If anyone wants a set of brand new used for 30 second Polks I have a set right here!

Jospeh

• Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro  ‐    346

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
    • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
    Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07.38 pm
    Apr 17, 2019, 07.38 pm
    Just as an FYI, you can quickly verify the functionality of the XM radio by tuning to Ch. 1 regardless of your subscription/activation status. If it's working, it will display 'PREVIEW' in the display, and you will hear music punctuated by very frequent spots imploring you to sign up for the service. If this doesn't happen when you tune to ch. 1, your radio isn't working.

tweedy-bunch