Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: The latest on my Trophy  (Read 2671 times)

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    The latest on my Trophy
    on: Mar 06, 2019, 06.27 pm
    Mar 06, 2019, 06.27 pm
    Hey everyone, it's been a while but I thought I would share, or vent, the latest on my Trophy. A while back I posted regarding my bike and the motor parts that had to be replaced and that it sat in the shop for a little over 6 weeks. That was a very frustrating and discouraging time for me as I ride daily and the bike is my main transportation.

Fast forward to today, my bike has been in the shop for 4 weeks with no end in sight. The bike had been stalling so the shop said they would check valves and get me back on the road. Well, valves were adjusted and the bike continued to stall so they kept it, synched the throttle bodies and cleaned the throttle plate linkage...still stalled.

They ran more tests and determined I had an intake manifold leak. Parts were ordered, arrived, fitted, bike continued to stall.

They ran more tests and determined 2 of the 3 cylinders weren't holding compression. The motor was removed from the bike a few days back and now I'm hearing the shop has requested a new motor from Triumph!!??

I take exceptional care of my bikes, always have! I never miss service intervals, keep it clean, ride it responsibly, never abuse my bikes, I take pride in the ownership of my bikes! I am trying to keep the faith in Triumph and hoping they do the right thing in taking care of this. I really don't want a new motor, don't want the bike back, I want out of it and am hoping for Triumph's help with this. Problem is, I am still making payments and can't just run out and buy another bike...I'm not made of money!

If Triumph takes care of me as they should I will continue riding Triumph (call me crazy). I was planning on buying a Tiger XCA later this year and would still love to own one but need to be freed from the burden I am currently under. If Triumph doesn't take care of me I'm not sure I could continue owning their brand of bikes. As much as I prefer the Tiger over the GS, I would buy BMW just to prevent future, long-term service issues that I experience with Triumph. The times my bike has gone in for service have ended up being multi-week long service waits...unacceptable! The beauty of BMW is their loaner program. You take your bike in and they set you up with something to ride away on while they have your bike. If Triumph had this it would be a no-brainer, Triumph all the way. But, they don't and who knows if they ever will.

Through all of this, I still love the Triumph bikes and love the Tiger. Everything I do going forward, regarding bikes and what I ride, hinges on this current situation I'm in and how it is handled. The Trophy was not a cheap bike by any means and I spent more money buying it than my wife and I were prepared to spend (she was pissed when she found out how much it was) and now we are paying for a bike that has been unable to stay on the road for any length of time....it's been a very unreliable bike! I should have over 60k miles on my bike at this point but I don't have enough faith in the bike or its ability to take me on long trips. Sad days for me but hoping to be taken care of. I have reached out and have heard nothing back so no idea where I stand in all of this. I realize I am nothing to Triumph, a nobody, but I'm hoping for the best.

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1341

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Re: The latest on my Trophy
    Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08.18 pm
    Mar 06, 2019, 08.18 pm
    Mike2411, have you discussed this with thefolks at Triumph USA in Atlanta, GA?
    I had some issues with the purchase of my Trophy last November, and although they weren’t nearly as severe as what you are experiencing, they stepped up to the plate big time correcting those issues.

Also, if you purchased your Trophy new, you may want to investigate California Lemon Laws, as I understand them to be among the toughest in the nation.

Either way, I hope Triumph does right by you.
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08.40 pm
    Mar 06, 2019, 08.40 pm
    I am in communication with Triumph USA. I'm waiting for the next update which I am assuming will come tomorrow after they discuss what to do with the UK. The mechanic at the shop told me he was blown away that the bike was even running! Valve 3 had been sucked into the head!

The upside to this is a new motor will increase the value of my Trophy. If that is the route they choose to put me on then I will ride it until I have it paid off (been doubling up payments for a while to get out of the bike) and then use the increased value toward my trade-in for what I hope to be a 2020 Tiger XCA. My heart is set on a Tiger but I do have serious reservations about purchasing one because of all other stuff I've had to deal with so far. I really do want an ADV bike and the Tiger is the best one in my opinion. My other option would be a new Kawasaki Concours or Yamaha FJ but not sure I want to go all-road again...only time will tell!

Regarding lemon law, looked into it but I have owned my bike for too long and it has too many miles to qualify. I believe California lemon law applies to bikes within 18 months or 18k miles...I have surpassed both when the issues came about.

• Offline william

• Trophy Pro  ‐    188

Offline william

• Trophy Pro
    • its not your beliefs that make you a better person
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Henderson, KY
    Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2019, 06.52 pm
    Mar 16, 2019, 06.52 pm
    Please keep us posted on Trophy even though you are getting (got) Explorer, as you know, we have discussed, Triumph stepped up to plate and repaired my engine at not cost when it was out of warranty, Of course it was the head issue. And of course I was so happy with them that I purchased Explorer. Well, as you know, but for others reading this who do not, My explorer had issue with starting, they could not get it repaired at dealer, Triumph replaced my bike with a new full warranted bike, I am very pleased with Triumph.

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398
    • Topic Author

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04.16 pm
    Mar 18, 2019, 04.16 pm
    Hi William, I will let you know. I have asked the shop to let me know when the head finally does arrive and if that repaired the issue. I have had the Tiger since Saturday and have just over 200 miles on it (trying to get through the break-in period as quickly as possible) and the bike is a blast to ride! I've been on the Concours and Trophy the last 6 years so this bike feels "strange" when I'm on it, feels like there's nothing there! The bike handles amazing, is super quick, has tons of personality, I am very happy with my purchase! I get all my accessories next weekend and then it will be even more exciting! I blew through a creek running across a road on Saturday, did it at about 35-40 mph and was smiling like a little kid! I almost turned around when I saw the water but when I remembered what I was riding I sped up and went for it!

• Offline waspanman   gb

• Trophy Member  ‐    46

Offline waspanman

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Isle of Wight
    Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 08.15 pm
    May 04, 2019, 08.15 pm
     Sounds spookily familiar, I had the head changed on my 2013 model SE in 2014 prior to 10000 miles when the recall that wasn't a recall happened. I had no problems before the change, but noticed a tappet rattle when the bike was returned, I complained to my dealer, who appeared to do nothing so I registered my complaint directly with Triumph here in the UK, who also did nothing. Every time I went in to the dealer, I raised the issue with no result. fast forward couple of years and after many times of reporting the issue, which was initially reported well within the warranty period, Triumph conceded that there may be an issue with a cover/basket working loose on the alternator, which they as a goodwill gesture would supply, but I would have to cover the labour cost, this predictably did not fix the problem. More times raising the problem had the same outcome as the original reporting-nothing. Fast forward to the 40000 mile service in March 2019, cost £1200 (around $1600) got the bike home, it sounded like a diesel and when revved even gently would cut out if you let go of the throttle, returned the bike to the dealer, who set about re-shimming the valves to no avail, they carried out many tests, but could not cure the problem they contacted Triumph, who eventually agreed to replace the head (again), but refused to cover the labour charge £480+tax (around $600). To their credit the dealer had passed on all of the feedback from me to Triumph, so when I contacted them direct, they knew who I was and all about the problem, and to Triumphs credit, when we explained that we had had the bike serviced prior to going on a small UK tour to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and now had no bike but had booked all the hotels etc, Triumph lent us a bike, a very nice 1050 Tiger Sport, which saved the day for the tour. We collected the Trophy today May 4th and hopefully all will be well we are doing a very small tour to celebrate my 65th birthday-------  total bill around £1700 ($2240) fingers crossed.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4773

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 05.33 pm
    May 07, 2019, 05.33 pm
    Sounds like, according to this and other posts, that the cooperation in the UK is much better than what is available from Triumph USA.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch