Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: What's everyone got planned for this year?  (Read 6074 times)

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948
    • Topic Author

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    What's everyone got planned for this year?
    on: Mar 09, 2019, 11.20 am
    Mar 09, 2019, 11.20 am
    Just sitting in my comfy chair and the sun is shining outside, though it's still a bit chilly. I have the maps spread out and the ferry timetables to hand and was just wondering what everyone has got planned for this year. I am starting the season by going to see a friend in London for a few days next week. A trip to the Alps in june with 4 mates, all ferries booked and paid for with a couple of hotels as well to start. Strange I haven't seen the lads since I mentioned I had laid out 1500 quid, but they're like this every year! June sees the Coast to Coast run and back over 3 days on my 1968 Honda 50 cub or 1972 Puch, 300 miles total with 30 other like minded souls on vintage mopeds, it's a hoot. August sees us going to Ireland for a week for the Ulster Grand Prix, then my nephew tells me his stag night (pre wedding party) is in Dublin a week later, so I might just stay for that with the bike rather than fly out. Just when I thought I was pretty much sorted, I got an invite for a Parilla motorcycle meeting on Lake Gard, Italy, in may, so working on the basis "that it's easier to gain forgiveness than get permission in the first place", I've booked to go there. I have just mentioned the last to the perfumed one and she's gone a bit quiet. I will leave it a week or two before I mention that it really isn't worth going for a few nights (it's a 2500 mile round trip in a straight line) so might negotiate a fortnight for that one.
    What's everyone else got planned?

• Offline Verdun95   fr

• Trophy God  ‐    2825

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: by CDG Airport
    Re: What's everyone got planned for this year?
    Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01.08 pm
    Mar 09, 2019, 01.08 pm
    That's a heck of a program you got yourself!, congrats  :047:
    Should we assume you're retired, to have the possibility to enjoy such a busy schedule?
    As far as I'm concerned that will be a couple of riding weekends in France with my kindergarden buddies, a stay in Sicily in May, a tour in the Cévennes with my London Market friends, and a three weeks vacation in south Drôme in August with my best friend. All of that motorbiking, of course! Needless to say: I'm retired  :062:
    An old biker must be a good rider

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01.56 pm
    Mar 09, 2019, 01.56 pm
    How refreshing to be on a Forum with a large European presence!
    All of the proposed destinations sound exotic to me, having never ridden on that side of the “Big Pond”.
    My plans for trips in North America are mostly to places I have already been several times, albeit with new riding companions.
    Maybe it’s time for me to broaden my horizons...  :152:

• Online jaapvanthoff   nl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    191

Online jaapvanthoff

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT SE my2014
    • City / Town: Rotterdam
    Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06.05 pm
    Mar 09, 2019, 06.05 pm
    Mid-April:
    A long week to go to Germany.
    Sheep beer. Large quantities of meet. What else do you need.
    To discover everything is still working

May:
    At this very moment I am planning a trip to Scotland. A round trip.
    From IJmuiden with DFDS to Newcastle upon Tyne.
    From there up north for 7 days.
    This trip I make by my selves; hotels, time schedule etc.
    To discover everything is still working.

End June:
    From Kiel Germany with the ferry to Oslo.
    Round trip in South Norway.
    This trip and al the hotel arrangements I will buy.

O ja:  To discover too everything is still working

I go alone. Stop where I want, drink coffee if needed etc.
    TTSE bleu
    ex: Dnepr, Ural, BMW R1200RT :-))
    Some old Saabs, Daimler serie 3, and STR jag.

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09.55 pm
    Mar 09, 2019, 09.55 pm
    I'm off to my house in Bulgaria in May for two weeks to start renovation work on it, but unfortunately flying out, wife's orders  :182:, seeing as my finances are tied up this year on said renovation works, just weekend ride out's with mates, but I'm hoping to take the bike back out to Bulgaria again this August, I say hoping  :034: as she who must be obeyed will already be out there, and staying after my return....Ooooo almost forgot, three of us are going to Ypres in September for 4 days, Friday - Monday, looking forward to that  :169:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1277

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12.08 am
    Mar 10, 2019, 12.08 am
    1675, a very busy time ahead. Mine also appears to be another reasonably high kilometre year. Coming up in April is a scheduled 1600 km. ride to the Australian IBA Muster in Manfield Victoria [home state]. Also in April will be a round trip of 2728 kms. for a FarRide to Pallamallawa, in northern New South Wales. At the end of April [27 th.] another 1000 km. FaRide to Ovens here in Victoria.
        Then on June 25th. I'll leave Melbourne for a 50CC  [3750 kms. coast to coast in 50 hours] to Darwin Northern Territory. On the Friday 28th. I'll leave Darwin on my return home and do a 1000km. FarRide included in my return. All up 8530 kms. up and back.
      August is the annual Border Run, a 4200km. ride to the South Australia/Western Australia border. Included in this ride I'll probably do a couple of 1600 km. IBA rides or one 2000km. and one 1600km. IBA rides.
        Late in August [31st.] I'm of to Turkey Beach, northern Queensland for another FarRide. I'll do 4288kms. up and back on this ride probably taking 4 days to do it.
        A bit of a break until the 19th. October when I'll do 1850kms. [there and home] to Cape Jervis in South Australia for another FarRide. Before heading up to Lake Moogerah, Queensland for another FarRide. 3870 kms. up and home.
        Apart from normal riding that will be done this lot should add about 28,000kms. onto the odometer on top of the 59,000kms. already showing. As you can see it doesn't take long to knock up the k's. doing FarRides and IBA rides. So far the Trophy has been perfect, let's hope that remains so.  :821: :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948
    • Topic Author

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09.16 am
    Mar 10, 2019, 09.16 am
    A good effort Hackle. A daft question, but is heat a problem when riding or are you used to it?

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1277

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02.35 am
    Mar 11, 2019, 02.35 am
    1675, no questions daft, only some of the answers. At 71 years young and a history of long distance running behind me I've got to know my body reasonably well over the years.
      My riding gear consists of a base layer of thin pure wool long sleeve top and similar bottom, with an Alpine Star Dakar riding suit. In the summer I don't have the water proof liners in place but still carry them with me for the unexpected. Winter riding is still the same base layers with my Warm and Safe Heated gear [socks, pants, jacket and gloves]. I do also wear a very thin pair of socks over the heated socks to prevent wear from the boots.
        I also wear a Dainese thin head cover to reduce the helmet sweat. When the temperature gets oppressive I wet all my inner gear with water and sometimes put ice in my jacket/pants pockets [must get myself a cooling vest]. Gloves I mainly use are vented summer style though I still carry a medium and a heavier Gortex pair as well as the heated ones. I hate wearing wet gloves. Saying that though, the Trophy gives great coverage in wet weather to the hands.
       The honest answer to the heat question is no you don't get used to it, you get used to managing it. I also have a 2.5 litre water jug that is strapped to the right pillion peg and with the hose routed alongside the saddle and up to the tank bag for easy water intake whilst riding. To put back the lost electrolytes I use Thorzt concentrate in powdered form mixed with water [small packet makes 600ml. of fluid] which I have in a pushbike bidden carried in a pushbike bidden carrier attached to the left pillion peg. I can easily reach down and retrieve this as I ride.
         All of this drinking and also eating is made easy with my flip front Shoei Neotec helmet. I also do all my exercising whilst on the move, both sitting and standing leaving my final movements [legs] when filling up.
        The most important thing I take care of on long rides is hydration, during and before I start the ride. Clear pee is good, yellow means my fluid intake is down.
         I hope this has been helpful.

HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

tweedy-bunch