Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Shift Lever Pivot Bolt - Will It Fool Me Twice?  (Read 6710 times)

• Offline Sleuth

• Trophy Member  ‐    22
    • Topic Author

Offline Sleuth

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Winchester, MA
    Shift Lever Pivot Bolt - Will It Fool Me Twice?
    on: Mar 12, 2019, 09.06 pm
    Mar 12, 2019, 09.06 pm
    My shift lever pivot bolt broke last summer when my Trophy, which had never been dropped, had about 6,000 miles on it.  A flatbed truck take my bike to the dealer and the bolt was replaced at no cost to me.

I ordered a couple of spare bolts to keep in my tank bag, and had the replacement bolt lubricated at my 10,000 mile service.

Here's my question.  I'm planning to do some long trips this summer.  Has anyone had the bolt break a second time? 

I know some folks replaced the Triumph part with a heavier duty bolt, but that is not the direction I wish to go. 

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Shift Lever Pivot Bolt - Will It Fool Me Twice?
    Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2019, 12.31 am
    Mar 13, 2019, 12.31 am
    This thread seems to have "died a death", which would indicate to me that owners are lubing the bolt/lever and not experiencing any breakages. But, never say never!

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2019, 11.44 am
    Mar 13, 2019, 11.44 am
    Sleuth,

I may be the only one on this forum that does this, but I change mine out, (both brake and shifter) with a new one each oil change.  This may sound excessive but the two of them cost less than an oil filter and the cost of repair for one braking on the road is astronomical.

My background is in aviation where some parts are recognized as life limited, i.e., you replace before they fail.  I look at these two bolts the same way.  Since I do my own oil changes, the labor cost is only an hour of my time.

Ride Safe,

ZShyster

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    304

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2019, 02.31 pm
    Mar 13, 2019, 02.31 pm
    But in the Aviation industry, when those parts are changed aren't they also inspected?  Really, I wonder.  If so, when you change out those two bolts, what do they look like? 

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05.11 pm
    Mar 13, 2019, 05.11 pm
    Rick505,

They look good to the naked eye, however, I have no way to do a metallurgical inspection to see if they have any non-visible cracks.  Therefore, I spend the $15 and just replace them.

I do not want to have to back out a broken bolt on the road.  Given some of the other expensive maintenance this bike needs, the $15 every 10,000 miles is quite modest in my opinion.

ZShyster

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1341

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05.46 pm
    Mar 13, 2019, 05.46 pm
    ZShyster, you bring up an interesting point. The aviation industry has probably the most proactive maintenance program in the Transportation Industry, but that is obviously because they have the most to lose due to a failure.

When it comes to private vehicles, itís a completely different story. As you so clearly argued, there is no real downside to replacing suspect parts before they fail, other than the time and cost associated. As 1675 pointed out, the incidence of failures has dropped dramatically since the issue first came to light, and solutions were offered.
    My guess is that regular lubrication of the subject components has indeed solved the problem. But, if anyone has doubts, they should follow your advice and just swap out components!

p.s. I will be happy to be the recipient of your used parts!  :062:
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    304

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06.27 pm
    Mar 13, 2019, 06.27 pm
    I was getting ready to add that  ZShyster may be "investing" in these parts because when I ordered a replacement it took my dealer three attempts for the correct part to be shipped.  They kept receiving some twist throttle part.  So, perhaps he is really cornering the market on the part and will be able to make a killing when necessary!!  :745:  If nothing else drill them out and sell an "upgrade" kit with a M8x35mm fancy bolt.  Use a Torx head bolt or something and you can double the price over hex head one.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08.39 pm
    Mar 13, 2019, 08.39 pm
    *Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
    Sleuth,

I may be the only one on this forum that does this, but I change mine out, (both brake and shifter) with a new one each oil change.  This may sound excessive but the two of them cost less than an oil filter and the cost of repair for one braking on the road is astronomical.

My background is in aviation where some parts are recognized as life limited, i.e., you replace before they fail.  I look at these two bolts the same way.  Since I do my own oil changes, the labor cost is only an hour of my time.

Ride Safe,

ZShyster

That does sound excessive to me but more to the point, if the bike were to go down, whatever bolt is in the thread at the time, chances are it's going to snap, depending on how it hits the ground etc.

tweedy-bunch