* Recent New Topics

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Airbag jacket/vest opinions  (Read 241 times)

Offline jid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TrophySE
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
Airbag jacket/vest opinions
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
A good friend of mine is a hardcore racer and he has an airbag suit he races in.   He also started wearing an airbag jacket on the street.   This was the first I hear of it.

Has anyone worn one or tested one out?  Any idea how they feel undeployed?   Positive or negative experiences?

Thanks!

JD

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Airbag jacket/vest opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
I have a beemer rider friend who has a Helite that he wears at all times when he's riding.  He's a doctor, so I expect he may have done his research, and he seems to be very comfortable in it.  Webbikeworld did a Helite review a few years ago and opined that the jacket itself was worth what it cost even without the airbag, and the airbag was a great addition.  I have no personal experience, but my friend's jacket looks to be extremely well made.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »
I have done some preliminary research on these vests as well, after a riding buddy started wearing one. Interestingly, the vests were originally developed for equestrian steeplechase and the like. There are several Manufacturers out there with a pretty well established track record. My friend reports no discomfort whilst wearing it, but I never neglect to shout TETHER every time we stop, lest he forget to disconnect it, and soon become a Michelin Man clone!  :745:

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »
 There is a you tube video of Guy Martin testing a set of Dainese D Air airbag leathers (might be textile suit) if you do a quick search. These work with sensors, not a lanyard.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:26:18 PM by 1675 »

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
True.
But one is making a significantly greater investment in the Dainese suit than in a vest.

In 2014, I was hit broadside at 60 mph by a deer that came flying out of the woods with absolutely no warning. Although I was wearing all the proper gear, I ended up with seven multiple rib fractures, a broken collarbone, and a collapsed lung.

In retrospect, I believe an air vest could have mitigated some of my rib damage, although that is certainly speculation. In the interim, airvest technology has really advanced, to the point that it is now on the top of the list of new gear purchases.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:35:14 PM by Saddle Tramp »