New 2015 To Me by 2slowTrophy
[Today at 10:17:43 PM]

New TTSE owner with some questions. by Coconut
[Today at 03:21:20 PM]

Hello from Moscow Russia by cecilt
[Today at 01:46:34 PM]

White paint by Coconut
[Today at 08:48:54 AM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Airbag jacket/vest opinions  (Read 1567 times)

Offline jid

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TrophySE
  • City / Town: Atlanta, GA
Airbag jacket/vest opinions
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
A good friend of mine is a hardcore racer and he has an airbag suit he races in.   He also started wearing an airbag jacket on the street.   This was the first I hear of it.

Has anyone worn one or tested one out?  Any idea how they feel undeployed?   Positive or negative experiences?

Thanks!

JD

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Airbag jacket/vest opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
I have a beemer rider friend who has a Helite that he wears at all times when he's riding.  He's a doctor, so I expect he may have done his research, and he seems to be very comfortable in it.  Webbikeworld did a Helite review a few years ago and opined that the jacket itself was worth what it cost even without the airbag, and the airbag was a great addition.  I have no personal experience, but my friend's jacket looks to be extremely well made.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »
I have done some preliminary research on these vests as well, after a riding buddy started wearing one. Interestingly, the vests were originally developed for equestrian steeplechase and the like. There are several Manufacturers out there with a pretty well established track record. My friend reports no discomfort whilst wearing it, but I never neglect to shout TETHER every time we stop, lest he forget to disconnect it, and soon become a Michelin Man clone!  :745:
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »
 There is a you tube video of Guy Martin testing a set of Dainese D Air airbag leathers (might be textile suit) if you do a quick search. These work with sensors, not a lanyard.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:26:18 PM by 1675 »

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »
True.
But one is making a significantly greater investment in the Dainese suit than in a vest.

In 2014, I was hit broadside at 60 mph by a deer that came flying out of the woods with absolutely no warning. Although I was wearing all the proper gear, I ended up with seven multiple rib fractures, a broken collarbone, and a collapsed lung.

In retrospect, I believe an air vest could have mitigated some of my rib damage, although that is certainly speculation. In the interim, airvest technology has really advanced, to the point that it is now on the top of the list of new gear purchases.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:35:14 PM by Saddle Tramp »
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »
I wear a Helite Touring jacket with air vest built in, had it deploy once.

Due to my foot sliding on some gravel at a road jct, and not being able to hold a fully loaded plus pilion passenger bike up, I dropped bike on its left side, the jacket is tethered to the bike by a rip cord, and because I fell away from the bike the air vest deployed.

It's a strange sensation, one feels like a Michelin man, your chest and back are protected by the bags inflation, and your head is held fairly rigidly, it all happens in an instant, and after around 15/20 seconds the air vest then slowly deflates.

The jacket is then back to normal, the only requirement after deployment is to replace the air canister and it is ready for the next time it might be needed, hopefully never.

The only two things that are not great, is the rip cord tethering one to the bike, as it makes it a tad difficult to stand up on the foot legs to adjust one's trousers over short boots, and stop draughts blowing up the legs, and you can't zip the jacket to your leather/textile trousers, apart from that a very good waterproof, windproof, comfy jacket, and also has a back, shoulder and elbow protection.

Yes there are other companies making air bag suits and jackets, which use electronics to deploy the air bag, but the down side is that at the moment the price is double the tethered jacket.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:39:02 PM by Grubloon »

Offline Merritt64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »
I personally own a HitAir Hi-Vis vest.  I have one for me and a pillion.  It is very comfortable, easy to install, easy to use and can be worn over anything.  The tether is installed when you are standing on your pegs not sitting.  You can therefore stand up if need be without worrying about it deploying.  The minute that you are separated from your bike, it inflates in milliseconds.  I have forgotten to disconnect the tether a few times while getting off the bike without incidence.  It actually takes a significant force to deploy the airbag.  You will feel the tug and disconnect the tether before it deploys, IF you forgot to disconnect prior to getting off the bike.  I think that it is far more versatile than a jacket but YMMV.  Install the tethers on whatever bikes you own and you're set.  I bought mine prior to renting a bike in Italy.  I installed it on the rental bike and removed it upon returning the bike.  I will probably have to buy another tether to replace that one but that is cheap insurance in my mind.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »
I use an airvest with a tether.  Have done for a few years now and never forgotten the tether.  I had to buy some extra tethers for the other bikes as I did nto want to keep swapping the thether over.  The only issue I have had is when I was swapping the tether I just looped it over the handlebars and it used to get caught in the brake lever and keep the brakes on?????  So I had to move it!.  I have luckily never had to try it out.  It does feel good to wear one though.  I still have a back protector in the underlying jacket.  ALthough it seems very heavy when you pick up the jacket and airvest once wearing it it does not feel heavy.