Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Overheating - in winter!  (Read 513 times)

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
Overheating - in winter!
« on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
 :161:
It seems like since I stopped using my TT regularly (thanks initially to a knee operation last September) itís been nothing but trouble!
First of all the throttle valves were gummed up & sticking so it wouldnít start and if it did it would die at the first whiff of an throttle. This was thankfully sorted out by the dealer during the 50K service, but it did have to get recovered there.
Then, last week, it overheated while I was part of a funeral precession for a fellow biker up here in Lancashire. The weather at the time was only +3DegC with hail showers! I managed to limp back home 1 mile at a time, letting it cool down from the coolant warning message to 4 bars showing each time (it took forever!).

My initial thought was that maybe a coolant pipe had been left loose, leading to the coolant leaking out, but I have just had time to have a look myself and the coolant was just below minimum, not empty as I half expected. I topped it up to just above minimum and started the bike. The fans came on as expected, but it just kept getting hotter until the coolant warning came on with all bars showing.

There are no error codes displayed, just P0000.

I now suspect the thermostat has seized closed. Which side of the engine is this? Itís hard to tell from the breakdown diagram on WorldofTriumph. Has anyone changed theirs? Is it straightforward enough?

Thanks for any advice.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
Re: Overheating - in winter!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
During your recent service, did they change the coolant? If so, it might need to be bled/there might be an air pocket screwing things up.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
During your recent service, did they change the coolant? If so, it might need to be bled/there might be an air pocket screwing things up.
Iíve just checked the service checklist for the last service, and they didnít change the coolant (thatís every 3 years and my bike is 4 years old so it should have been done at the last service a year ago).
Iíve ordered a new thermostat (£36) from the dealer, but it wont be available until next week sometime, so a job for when Iím back home next weekend unfortunately.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
History (best of):

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
So after removing the fairing, airbox & fuel tank, I was looking for how to remove the throttle bodies to gain access to the thermostat, and I noticed the split in the hose as it bends around towards the thermostat.

I think Iíve found my problem!
But do I continue to replace the thermostat (disturbing the throttle bodies in the process), or just replace the split pipe, refill with coolant and reassemble?
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
History (best of):

Offline digital

• Trophy Member
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:17 PM »
What you should do is the following:

Replace that sleeve and also the coolant, once all replaced, you make a bleeding of the refrigerant circuit.

Once you have all this, do not put the intake box and mount the fuel tank, without lowering it to its place, the rear square part of the tank you support it on the back of the chassis, where the seat goes.

Once all this is done, you will see that the fuel tank is at the front as if it were a bridge.

You connect the cables of the gas meter and the gasoline pump, obviously those that go to the intake box will not connect them, since the intake box does not have it on.

Now you just need to connect the battery. The most comfortable thing would be to leave it on the floor and add two thick pieces of cable to the battery terminals.

Now you start the motorcycle and wait for the bike to take its temperature, once it rises to five lines it must open the thermostat and consequently turn on the fans. Notice that the two fans are running.

After about a minute, the fans should stop and go down to four stripes. Check all this process about three times, if the three times, it starts and stops normally. It will not be necessary to change the thermostat.

Check directly that the coolant from the radiator cap is completely full and also the expansion vessel is at its corresponding level.

Now you can remove the fuel tank and assemble the intake box, fuel tank and fairings.

PS: Remember that the radiator cap has half a turn and another half safety.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline digital

• Trophy Member
  • Trophy SE 1200
    • View Profile
  • Bike: digital
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:52:45 PM »
Seeing the photo and the condition of the cuff (that white foam oozes). My recommendation would also be to replace the thermostat and the rubber gasket that it carries. Check all the tubes and the one under the alternator that is not bent.

Also, tighten the flange of the tube that is between the alternator and below the injection bodies.
Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »
So I replaced the split hose, but left the theremostat alone. This was a bit of a risk, but as the dealer hadn't managed to obtain a new thermostat seal for me, and as I didn't want to unnecessarily disturb the throttle bodies, I took that chance.
I replaced the fuel tank and fired her up. There were no leaks, and the fans came on at 5 bars and it never got any hotter. I could feel from the temperature of the replaced hose, that the thermostat appears to be working OK.

Good news.  :152:

All bodywork was refitted and after a 30 odd mile blast around the Trough of Bowland I believe the problem has been sorted. I hope so, as I need to use it for a daily commute into Manchester next week!

I still have an unused thermostat (and a seal on order), but I'll just keep those in the garage.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
History (best of):

Offline redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
well done ShaunDW

tweedy-bunch