Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Top Box Dismantling  (Read 711 times)

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
Top Box Dismantling
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
Having looked in the search box for any posts on taking the bottom half of the Top Box apart and finding nothing.  :084:

My question is can the bottom half of the Top Box be taken apart, as I want to fit two spring clips to the base of the left side of the box, in front of the power point, so that I can still fit two crash helmets in and put my tyre pump in as well.

I've looked at the bottom half, and have removed all the visible torx screws but the box remains firmly complete, so the question is will it come apart.    :187:

Online tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
Re: Top Box Dismantling
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
Unfortunately, I believe the answer is no.  The bottom half does not separate. 
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline Hoovooloo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE Black
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
funny, but I'm working on a similar project on the pannier and am having the same problem.  Yesterday, I pulled all visible screws but could not get the pannier apart.  Frustrating!
Second Wave Founding Member Twisted Trophies

Bike: 17 TTSE - Phantom Black  "Toothless the Night Fury"

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »
After looking at the parts book diagrams, I have given up on the idea of pulling the top box apart, instead I have used reusable zip ties, using stick down zip tie holders, will see how that pans out.  :028:

Offline Hoovooloo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE Black
  • City / Town: Chicago, IL
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »
They may release when it gets hot out.  Depending on the adhesive.  I'm thinking rivets now for my project.  If you use the stick on tie wrap holders and put a rivet in the middle hole, that should work.
Second Wave Founding Member Twisted Trophies

Bike: 17 TTSE - Phantom Black  "Toothless the Night Fury"

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:00:27 AM »
Hoovooloo,

I realize it's a two skin box, but I am worried as to what the space is between the inner and outer boxes, as regards drilling holes, plus putting a rivets into the inner box with no washer on the blind side, is a bit iffy as it's thin plastic and could pull through, with only a small amount of pulling.

It's a bit annoying when after removing the five screws from the base of the box, checking under the locking mechanism plate on the underside of the box, and removing the screws around the edge, it still remains firmly in one piece.

The only other idea I've had is to use a screw that has a spring loaded wings on the nut, that opens out when pushed through the hole and spreads the load when tightened up, they are used on plasterboard walls and other hollow panels and come in different sizes.I

Will have a look tomorrow, between working on my T160 Trident and testing my DAB radio aerial.   :152:

As an aside, getting hot in the UK is very rare, maybe once in a while it might reach very high temperatures, but 65-75F is the norm in summer, if it stops raining that is.   :084:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:05:31 AM by Grubloon »

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:50:29 PM »
I asked Triumph directly a while ago: no, the two halves do not come apart. They're glued together and there's no way to get them apart without destroying the box.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:58:13 AM »
AZBob,

Thanks for the info, seems strange they went to the trouble of putting five screws in the base of the box, as well as glueing it, but hey that's Triumph for you.

Cheers. :028: