Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Loud exhaust  (Read 2074 times)

Offline redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Athlone
Re: Loud exhaust
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »
How it panned out:
Visited the dealers today.
Mechanic showed me the header pipe which was now shorter by probably an inch.
The exhaust down pipe (header pipe) nearly €800 plus other bits required.
To give me a chance of safe riding while I get the cash together (retiree) for replacement, he did this:

SO hope to get a few km from this temp fix AND hope the existing exhaust tail pipe can be used.

So I called it wrong, corrosion got to it and it is not at all a straight forward job as I initially hoped it would be.

Regards all
Gary

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 05:17:16 PM »
It might surprise you how long that “temporary” repair lasts!
And, given the cost of replacement, you might just choose to wrap some high temperature exhaust header wrap around the repair, and call it “permanent”!  :062:

Offline redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 05:30:01 PM »
I'm googling hteh wrap, Saddle Tramp, kidneys too old to sell one :169:

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »
After looking at your photos of the repair again, I am not certain that my suggestion will work long term. At the very least, you will have to cut the excess threads showing on the clamps. On the other hand, the wrap is relatively inexpensive, and the added support might significantly extend the repair’s service life.

Ultimately, I don’t know how much you stand to lose by giving it a try?
I know, that is easy for me to say, when it’s your Trophy!  :164:

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1215
  • City / Town: Strathaven
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
Anyone got any ideas on a preventable action? Would the exhaust wrap slow or accelerate the corrosion? I wonder if it corroded from the inside out?

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
Here is what looks like an unbiased tutorial on exhaust wraps from one of the largest motorcycle accessory Dealers in the U.S.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-wrap-an-exhaust

Having not used this product myself, I only suggested it as an option in the OPs case as perhaps a way to get some more life out of his temporary repair.

Offline City Of Trees

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Stourport-on-Severn
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »
Hi,

Just to add to this. I have the same issue on my 2013 TT. The outlet from the catalytic converter has four or five tangs which the gasket sits inside. When the jubilee clip is tightened it crushes the tangs into the gasket and keeps thing secure. That's fine until you want to say, swap the stock exhaust for an aftermarket version. The stock exhaust comes out fine but the replacement won't go back in unless you remove/destroy the original gasket, bend the tangs back out, fit a new gasket  and then re-crush everything. The upshot is that the tangs get stressed from heat, vibration and bending and start to drop off, as shown in the original post. I have one left on mine. The link pipe of the aftermarket can still sits inside the cat outlet by about an inch, and the whole lot can still take the bump when the centre stand retracts. So...friction, one tang, one jubilee clip and several prayers and it seems to be "okay". If it gets worse then my plan is to cut the cat outlet back to good metal, get a sleeve welded on and cut new tangs. But hopefully it just works "as is".

It's an annoying bit of design as it makes an expensive part somewhat consumable. Does anyone know if this design was changed on the later bikes?

tweedy-bunch