Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Any Any measures to avoid stretched wires ignition switch failure?  (Read 653 times)

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
As a new owner of a used(2013) trophy se, I'm trying to find out if there is a preemptive rerouting of the ignition switch wires to avoid it's failure.
I've read that this is a failure that can happen over time, as the wires are strained when the bars are turned to full lock, time & time again.
So, is there a reroute for these wires to relieve their stress?
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Any Any measures to avoid stretched wires ignition switch failure?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:45:08 PM »
From what I can see on my bike, the breaking of those wires would be down to the hard brake hose rubbing/riding up against where they actually exit the plastic body of the ignition switch body, when the bars are fully turned to the left, it's not because the wires are too short/being stretched.

That brake hose is held by a plastic clip that's riveted on the left hand side of the frame, try and see if you can slightly re position that hose within it's clip, that may just provide a bit more clearance at the ignition switch end.
Mine had already popped itself out of that clip, more proof in my mind that Triumph got the routing/mounting of these two components wrong at the factory. :155:   

Online 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:56:07 PM »
Just seen a safety recall at an online mcn article that Triumph have recalled 68,686 bonnevilles and street twins worldwide due to a potential fault with the headstock tidy (whatever that is). Apparently the fault can cause loss of power. Don't they mean the engine can cut out completely, leaving the rider stranded, just like some of us have experienced on the trophy, but without a recall

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
Just seen a safety recall at an online mcn article that Triumph have recalled 68,686 bonnevilles and street twins worldwide due to a potential fault with the headstock tidy (whatever that is). Apparently the fault can cause loss of power. Don't they mean the engine can cut out completely, leaving the rider stranded, just like some of us have experienced on the trophy, but without a recall

That's usually a clip or bracket of sorts, just something that holds/guides all the wires and cables basically. Most of my bikes in the 80's just had a thick wire loop for that. :008:

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Tiverton, Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:18:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]

I saw that too and thought "BASTARDS" ............. when I told Triumph that my bike cut out as I was going round a roundabout and I was nearly tail-ended they didn't want to know! I said it was a well known fault ................. still didn't want to know.

I personally will never but a new Triumph again for this reason!