Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Rear Wheel Studs Sheared!  (Read 5069 times)

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1308
    • Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Rear Wheel Studs Sheared!
    on: Mar 25, 2019, 07.58 am
    Mar 25, 2019, 07.58 am
    Yesterday my bike was handling poorly and on checking her over three of the five rear wheel studs had sheared off!  I could feel no movement in the wheel but having 60% of the fastenings gone I consider myself lucky that the last two held!

So how to fix?

Looking in the parts catalogue it looks like a whole new final drive unit at 1,300!

Any ideas on a lower cost answer?

Oh and by the way Recover Cover Gold does not.
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Rear Wheel Studs Sheared!
    Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2019, 09.57 am
    Mar 25, 2019, 09.57 am
    OMG,...any idea why they failed in the first place? Who tightened them up  last, used the wrong setting on the wrench maybe??

Surely just the broken studs could be removed? No doubt a tricky job to do in situ, removing the whole shaft and securing it to a milling machine would be the way to go I think??

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12.10 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 12.10 pm
    This isn't good. I wonder if they were all coming loose and only 3 let go? Are the holes in the wheel worn? (where the coned bolts seat). It is normal on a car/truck wheel where the bolts gradually loosen for the wheel holes to elongate. You may be lucky and the 3 broken parts which are still in the hub may come out with a small "pick" or scriber, if you are lucky. Another idea would be an easi out. A much hated tool in engineering circles as the name is a downright lie!!!
    Is the bike out of warranty?

• Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2019, 05.09 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 05.09 pm
    The last time the wheel was removed was for new tyres at a professional bay with the owner doing the job whilst I watched, he went online for the torque settings, so I'm pretty confident they were correct.  The wheel is not off yet so I don't know of any other visible signs of damage.

I know the hub carrier can be removed as a mate with a Tiger has done it, I did check though and the final drive assemblies of the Trophy and Tiger are different part numbers but look the same construction.

I'm thinking I may bite the bullet and pay 1,300 (asking for any goodwill) as if the wheel has been wobbling it could well have caused other damage and I ride a lot at high speeds so I'd like to be confident of the fix I get done.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9995

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2019, 05.58 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 05.58 pm
    Sorry to hear of this - it's certainly not a common problem !

I'm assuming that your Trophy is out of Warranty,
    but if you have had it Serviced by authorised Dealers,
    at the specified intervals, then Triumph "may" help with a Goodwill gesture.

You may wish to ask your Dealer to ask the question, or your could try contacting
    Triumph by email to : after.sales@triumph.co.uk, explaining what has happened,
    quoting your Mileage, and ask if there is anything they can do to help,
    especially as this would then give them access to the damaged Unit
    that they may be interested in examining for future product development.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 06.02 pm by Coconut

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11.52 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 11.52 pm
    Not sure how the hub carrier would come from the rest of the bevel box easily, but if it does and Triumph wont help, then bring it to me. I'm sure we can get the broken bolts out.

• Topic Author

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10.55 am
    Mar 26, 2019, 10.55 am
    Thanks so much for the offer.  I'll let you know how I get on and how sympathetic Triumph are.

Yes Coconut it is a 2016 bike so three years old with 50,000 miles, it was booked in on Friday for the 50,000 service at Triumph Newcastle but was knocked back as a technician had not turned up for work!  It has been serviced according to Triumphs specification, first one at A1 York, then Triumph Newcastle for each 10,000 miles.

I know I use them too much, I would have replaced it but they stopped making the bike that suits me.  My only other option is a BMW RT, and I don't want one of those.

I think Triumph, like everything nowadays, makes a disposable products; the mismatch is my expectations versus theirs.  I think wheel fastenings should be made for safety not cost considerations.  It was very sobering to see three gone and only two studs and wheel nuts left between me and disaster.

My friend who rides a 1993 ST1100 finds it amusing as his Honda just works and this year and last year he has watched me suffering at the roadside.  My mate who finally collected me from my predicament is riding around the World in about four weeks time and rather than take his three year old Tiger he is riding his 1968 Triumph triple as he knows he'll make it on that!  If it does break down he is pretty sure he can fix most things, probably with string and gaffer tape.

I grow old ever learning.

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1475

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - SOLD
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2019, 02.47 pm
    Mar 26, 2019, 02.47 pm
    GarminDave,
    We are all very interested in the outcome of your inquiries to Triumph concerning this near disaster. Here in the States, we have the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, that actively monitors vehicle faults such as the one it looks like you just experienced, and has the power to force vehicle recalls to address those issues. If there is a similar Institution in the U.K., I would definitely be notifying them.

As you have stated, you are very fortunate to have been able to recognize that something was amiss before disaster struck. Kudos to you for being so aware.  :028:

tweedy-bunch