Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Gas Tank  (Read 3002 times)

• Offline Umami

• Trophy Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Umami

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    Gas Tank
    on: Mar 25, 2019, 04.17 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 04.17 pm
    After years of telling us the rationale behind gas pump mods was so we don't inhale the fumes, why on earth would Triumph make a bike (Trophy SE) that won't accept a pump nozzle!?  I'm back in the '70's...you have to physically pull the rubber hood back to get the nozzle in the tank because the bike won't accept the auto-shut off feature.

Anybody found a work around?  I hate to try and trim the internal spikes preventing full insertion.

• Online Novocastrian   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    668

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE
    • City / Town: Tynemouth
    Re: Gas Tank
    Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2019, 04.24 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 04.24 pm
    I have no problem filling the tank at the filling station. Must be a USA thing.
    Ken Hastie
    TTSE, a handful of BSAs, a Vespa 300 and an MGB

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4911

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2019, 05.30 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 05.30 pm
    It is indeed a USA thing, and not even all over the USA, just in specific areas that the EPA (and/or others) has deemed they are needed.  Fortunately we don't have them in our area, but with San Antonio constantly in non attainment status we may not be far off.  Never mind that an interested party has done years of research and proven that the non attainment periods correspond to smoke from Mexico when crop fields are being burned.  Go figure.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10.01 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 10.01 pm
    *Originally Posted by trophied [+]
    It is indeed a USA thing, and not even all over the USA, just in specific areas that the EPA (and/or others) has deemed they are needed.  Fortunately we don't have them in our area, but with San Antonio constantly in non attainment status we may not be far off.  Never mind that an interested party has done years of research and proven that the non attainment periods correspond to smoke from Mexico when crop fields are being burned.  Go figure.

There's also state laws. Such as CA. The vapor recovery thing is garbage. For the OP, it has nothing to do with the auto-shut off, which I wouldn't trust when filling any motorcycle.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4911

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10.57 pm
    Mar 25, 2019, 10.57 pm
    Agreed!  If you trust the auto shutoff, stand well clear and RUN when it happens, because your about to see fuel everywhere on your hot engine motorcycle.  Not a large enough empty volume to keep that from happening before the nozzle detects it.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    319

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2019, 02.09 pm
    Mar 26, 2019, 02.09 pm
    I could swear there was a similar thread here within the last year or so.   :187:

Bottom line for me is I can insert the fuel nozzle squarely into the tank until it bottoms , squeeze the handle and fill it up.  I've used pumps in several States with various nozzle types and all have worked fine.  I'm not special and I suspect everyone can do the same.  No, I can't turn the nozzle on, leave it hanging from the tank and go grab a Slurpee and Slim Jim to return to a full tank. 

Me thinks folks should ride more and stop looking for issues to complain about.    :038:

Be safe out there folks. 

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    584

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2019, 04.17 pm
    Mar 26, 2019, 04.17 pm
    It is possible to place a rag in the hole to catch the little nubs as you carefully trim them off.  One or two will allow the nozzle to go in further.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2019, 04.53 pm
    Mar 26, 2019, 04.53 pm
    *Originally Posted by Rick505 [+]
    Bottom line for me is I can insert the fuel nozzle squarely into the tank until it bottoms , squeeze the handle and fill it up.  I've used pumps in several States with various nozzle types and all have worked fine.  I'm not special and I suspect everyone can do the same.

The problem isn't getting the fuel filler far enough into the filler neck so that fuel flows, the problem is that with the ridiculous apparatus used in states like CA and parts of OR, you can't ALSO see how much gas you've got while filling with the vapor recover apparatus in-place, which means you're very likely to spill gas all over the place as your tank over fills.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100