Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Vibration when braking at speed  (Read 836 times)

Offline thogland

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
Re: Vibration when braking at speed
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guitarman [+]
Yes I rotated every one again whilst the wheel was off and gave them an additional spray, just seems a bit strange that this has developed over the course of a days run. I don't normally brake hard but yesterday I had a few hard stops from speed and the bike stops ok but still has the vibration  :110:

FYI, I've been fighting this as well. Happens with the front brake lever, but not with the rear (linked to the front right disk), so leads me to a warped left front disk. Local Triumph checked everything, cleaned the bobbins and says it's all normal - disks aren't warped, pads are OK and calipers are working correctly. I've cleaned them thoroughly and still shudders. (Also need to find a real tool to use to rotate those annoying little bobbins while I spray them down.)

Think it's going back next week - this can't be normal...

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 09:48:25 PM »
thogland I use a flat screwdriver at an angle put into the bobbin hole. A little inwards pressure and turn the driver whilst squirting brake cleaner into the recess above the bobbin. I do this a couple of times on each bobbin. The amount of dirty crud that emerges onto the concrete below the wheel when finished is quite amazing. I'm probably very soft, if that's the way to put it, when breaking.
  I'm about to give them another clean before I embark on an over 4,400 kilometre ride in four days starting next Friday 30th. It will be interesting how the brakes end up after this. But on previous rides of similar length I haven't needed to worry.
   I have had my rotors replaced under warranty and the bike [2016] has now done over 61,000 kilometres. All of which has been rides of over 200 kilometres.  :821: :169:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1215
  • City / Town: Strathaven
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
While you are at the front wheel, check your wheel bearings, I had similar and it ended up being that, bearing on one side worn out. Water ingress and corrosion being the culprit

Online Guitarman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: INVERNESS
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
Probably should have updated this post  :015: anyway I bought new disks from WOT and used EBC brake pads and the issue was rectified :152: I try not to use the back brake on its own as when I had the disks clocked the front one which is linked was on the limit which leads me to think that this caused the problem as last year when we were in Bavaria I was only using the rear brake to limit the speed on the pass descents  :110:

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guitarman [+]
I try not to use the back brake on its own

Me too, I learned to ride bikes with independent brakes a long time ago so I'm not a fan of linked brakes at all.