Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO: Make a temporary installation of GPS mounting system  (Read 5817 times)

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
Dear friends:

I have just finished my first summer tour with this supersonic machine (known also as Triumph Trophy...). And I am more than happy with the "flub" that I have prepared and I would like to share it wit all of you.

PREMISES:
1.- I use my bike on a daily basis to go to work and, I am afraid, I know by heart the way.
2.- I do need a GPS NAV System for long trips that I conduct once or two a year.
3.- I love my bike and its image and I would not like to have permanently installed the cradle sold by mummy Triumph to be installed under the screen. Moreover I hate to dismount the lateral panels and the frontal of the bike each time that I need to install/uninstall the cradle.

RESULT:
After conducting a short MPDP I got a decision: I should install a Garmin Zumo 660 LM on the right handlebar, passing the power cable under the black plastic piece located above the tank, reaching the bottom side of the front seat, the rear seat and then the 12 v. socket located under the right side under the rear seat.

I have tried the front-left 12 v. socket as well but there is a lot of heat there and it is allways "live", that means that if you forget to unplug or switch-off the GARMIN you could lose your battery when having the bike not running.

On the other hand the rear socket only gets power when the engine is running, not even when the contact is on with the key, if the engine do not start the socket will not have power... IT IS FANTASTIC!!! and quite sure and safe (British??).

OK, OK, lets go for some pictures.

PICTURES # 1 and 2: The cradle of GARMIN Zumo (with and without the cover) on the right handlebar. You have to chage two silver screws that fix the brake lever because they are too short to ambrace the support provided by GARMIN Zumo. In the box of the GARMIN you have two screws for this purpose but BE CAREFUL because the THREAD DOES NOT MATCH with the one required by the bike. So take out one of the screws of the bike and go to a shop for buying two screws at least 1 centimeter longer with the same thread. I do insist, do not try to use the two black screws provided in the GARMIN┤s box.

By the way, the blue ribbon that you can see (because my bike is blue, OF COURSE!!) is the lenth of the statue of the Virgin of the Pilar. She is the patron of Zaragoza city (home town of our friend Alapues). You can see this ribbon protecting most bikes in Spain.

PICTURE # 3: The Zumo in its position. The RAM mounting system provided in the GARMIN box gives you the posibility of moving it to get the better position for you.

PICTURE # 4: A view from te front of the bike. I do not have arrows to sign, I use my fingers. You can see that I have temporaly fixed the black wire of the cradle with a plastic retention band (that I will cut easily at the end of the summer).

Now I have to open another replay to be able to upload pictures.....

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
In these pictures you can see how the power cable enters under the black plastic cover and appears on the fron of the seat. How it is safely hidden under the rear seat when not used and how it appears and connects to the socket.

I have paired my cell phone with the GARMIN and it with my Scala Rider headphones and micro in my helmet,
I can: receive and place phonecalls pressing on the screen of the GARMIN that shows incoming calls and presents my agenda for outgoing calls. I have downloaded music (in mp3 format) and can hear it in my helmet. The system stops authomatically the music to provide you audio navigation directions. FANTASTIC!!!!

You need: two screws (for the supporting to the brake lever), black tape, 2 black plastic retention bands, 50 cm of black cable to extend te lenth of the power cable provided by GARMIN and one male 12 volt hella connector.

That┤s all falks!!!!   :047: :047:  V,ssss

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
Re: HOW TO: Make a temporary installation of GPS mounting system
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »
Brico good, but you know it in the glove have a cigarette lighter that only has power with the bike turned

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:41:55 PM »
Yes, I know, but what really amazes me is The fact of this socket providinding power only when The engine is running And not when The key is on.

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
By The way, miss, how can we Reach The gloves compartment with The power cable without doing a hole?

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
Thanks Atuti,

Great write up - and ideal for a temporary installation, as nothing on the bike gets cut / drilled / damaged etc.  :047:

I see you have the Trophy SE so you could connect the audio from the Zumo into the Trophy audio system,
but if you are using Bluetooth paired to your Phone and headset, you will get better Phone functionality doing it your way  :062:

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
A great way to reroute the satnav. It is great to see the different ideas coming out on this forum.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by atuti [+]
By The way, miss, how can we Reach The gloves compartment with The power cable without doing a hole?
I wire you the audio jack 3.5 nav, gum THROUGH making the glove lighter
with that I have always radar alerts connecting it to an android phone that is in my gunatera and lights to be powered when you turn the bike.
the gps only use it on trips