Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Presently Bikeless, but Strongly Considering a Trophy to remedy that.  (Read 272 times)

Offline timebak

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Bikeless temporarily
  • City / Town: N. Missouri Boonies
Hi folks, and greetings from the boonies of northern Missouri, USA. I hope you really wanted to know what bikes we've had, so here goes.... I'm presently bikeless, but my bike experience started with a Kawasaki 90 at age 13 in 1968, then up to a Kawasaki 175 Enduro, then a Kawasaki 500 Mk III (two-stroke screamer that I modified quite a bit), while I had the Kaw 500 also had one of the Italian Harley 125 dirt bikes, then a Honda Hawk 400 (Late 70's). Then a Harley Sportster Roadster (about 1981, AMF junk, needed a Honda or Kaw to follow it around to pick up the parts that fell off of it). Then a Kawasaki KZ1000 Shaft, then a Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours, and finally an early Concours 14. Made a strategic error and sold it and then didn't immediately buy another bike.

Coolest bike I ever rode was an early 1950's Vincent Black Lightning. I got to ride it on two occasions in the mid 70's. I knew it was a rare bike, but I had no idea how rare. I rode it a total of about 2 hours. Later, I was told that it was one of only 9 that made it to the USA, and I found out how valuable it was. It was owned by the grandfather of a friend I went to school with. He was a wealthy bike collector that owned mining and shipping businesses. He had a plethora of British bikes dating from the 30's into the 70's, as well as Harleys and BMW's.  I rode quite a few of them. He would call my friend (his grandson) to bring a biker friend or two and come and ride with him. We'd go to his garage and he'd roll out a few bikes that he wanted to "exercise" and off we'd go with the Grandpa leading the way. We'd swap bikes several times on the trip so that everybody got to ride each bike we took out that time.  That Black Lightning would go like hell, handled fairly well for a bike of that vintage, but its brakes were pretty weak. I'm still amazed that he let us ride it, and I often wonder where that bike is now.

After paying my own way through college, I worked as a Research, Development, Test & Evaluation Engineering contractor for various US Government agencies including NASA and the US Army Missile Command. I worked a number of Space Shuttle missions in Mission Control and was in Mission Control when the Challenger blew up. Four of the astronauts that died were friends of mine. I left the Gov't contracting business in the 90's and have worked in the "real world" since in engineering and maintenance management.

I've had a really bad hankering for another bike, but haven't settled on anything quite yet.  Wasn't familiar at all with the Trophy, but one of the local HD dealers (local to here being 100 miles away) has a used one that has piqued my interest. But I need to learn more about them before I buy.  I'm REALLY impressed by what nice bikes the Trophy's are, and the advanced features they have. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:50:07 AM by timebak »
It is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Presently Bikeless, but Strongly Considering a Trophy to remedy th
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »
Hi timebak and :400: to the Forum !

That's a really interesting story - thanks for sharing.   :028:

Will the Dealer allow you to take a Test Ride on the Trophy they have ?

If so that will answer many of the questions you may have, and if you take your wallet with you,
then it's likely you will paying a Deposit as soon as you finish the Test Ride !

If there are any questions remaining after a Test Ride, you'll probably find the answers here.  :169:
( If not just start a New Topic, or ask a question in one of the current Topics ).

The Trophy is a fantastic machine, but ( like most Makes ) has had its share of problems,
the majority of which have since been addressed by Triumph.

You may be interested in this Topic that I pulled together from various Member's observations :
What to look for when Buying a Pre-Owned ( Used ) Trophy SE

Please also be aware, that just like any Forum, you will find lots of information about faults
and probems that Owners have had, and this can give a false impression -
the majority of Trophy Owners have Zero or very few problems at all,
but those are usually the ones that we don't hear from, as they have no need
to join a Forum just to tell everyone how happy they are !

As far as Forums go, this is definitely one of the most friendly and useful you will come across.  :001:

Keep us updated with your progress !  :152:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
 :400: to the forum.  Great motorcycling history.  If you can get a test ride on a Trophy that will finally convince you.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
Welcome aboard  :821: Hope you'll make the wisest decision in your riding life: go for  the Trophy.
Coconut said it all!
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »
Welcome timebac  :401:,
Buy the bike, you won’t regret it.
Paul Wilko

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 04:54:38 AM »
Welcome to the gang, timebak!  Coconut is right, if you can get a test ride, bring your wallet - you'll need it!  Seriously, the Trophy is a great ride, and especially loves to eat long miles on a road trip.  And thanks for the great story!  Ride safe!

:400:
STONEY

Offline timebak

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Bikeless temporarily
  • City / Town: N. Missouri Boonies
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 06:18:50 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm dying to take one out for a ride.  I don't want to get too caught up in the paralysis of analysis...  In 2013, my wife and I were in western South Sudan on a month-long mission trip.  I found a made-in-China Senke 125cc bike abandoned in the bush, drug it out and worked on it for an afternoon and got it running.  Had to buy gas for it in half liter soda bottles off folks on the side of the only road in the area (if you could call it a road. Was just a glorified path through the bush).  Rode it a bunch over the next 3 weeks over a wide area, hauling 8 women around to remote villages in the area.  Had virtually NO problem with the bike.  So if I was able to do that, why should I worry about anything on a bike of the quality of a Trophy here in the US?

Here's the one I found in the bush that wouldn't run and I fixed it.  Tore down the carb and cleaned it, washed the tar-like gunk out of the crankcase and filled it with fresh oil, replaced broken sparkplug, repaired wiring to the ignition switch, washed out the gas tank and fuel lines, put in a couple liters of relatively clean gas, lubed chain, worked on the brakes, and it ran pretty decently.  In 2 1/2 weeks I put almost 1000 miles on that Senke bike.

Here's another bike that somebody brought me to repair, and I was able to get it going. That's me, the white guy in the blue sleeveless t-shirt in the background. I'm talking to one of the guys to whom I've been teaching carpentry skills. The Platina 125 is made in India.  It was faster, rode better and had a more comfortable seat than the Senke bike.  I put about 200 miles on the Platina when someone else was using the Senke.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:53:31 AM by timebak »
It is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Raleigh nc
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 01:48:23 AM »
 :400: to the forum. Good luck with the purchase.That HD dealer wants nothing to do with that TTSE so beat him up on the price.