Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tires @ 20K  (Read 713 times)

Offline JerseyJeff

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Jackson NJ
Tires @ 20K
« on: May 01, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »
After reading quite a few posts about tires, it seems there is a lot of personal preference when choosing. However it does appear the there is a lot of others who do choose a tire that is a GT. Therefore I've decided to put the Michelin Pilot 4 GT"s on, instead of the Pilot 5"s even though the latter is supposed to be a "newer"technology. Any thoughts, or comments before I take the pants down and bend over ?? This 20K service is costing me around $2200 and I want to be sure I made a good choice.   :087:

Offline Traxx

• Trophy Pro
  • Black Betty Bam Ba Lam
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 17 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
Re: Tires @ 20K
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
What is most important to you, sporty handling, long life, dry performance, wet performance the list goes on. What tires have you had already? Did you like them?
I think it is important to define how you actually ride and getting the tires that fit your Ride.
17 Tropy SE Phantom Black The FASTEST color
TOH # 678
IBA # 71308

Offline JerseyJeff

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Jackson NJ
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
Traxx,
Just got the TTSE at the end of last season, and it has Pilot 4GT's. The ride is decent, but the mileage I got (from what I can figure) isn't the greatest. 10k up front and 13k on the rear. Now I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I ran Anakee 3's on my tiger and had about 10k on a set that hardly looked used. Maybe because it's a heavier bike the mileage suffers?
They still have some life left, but I'm planning a 10k trip in June, and I don't want the hassle of changing on the west coast. I thought I was going with the same tires again, but I"m gonna give the road 5's a try this time.

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
Although I am running the OEM Pirelli Angel STs now, I ran several sets of the Angel GTs on my previous, heavier, BMW K1600GTL, and got similar mileage as the PR4s.
Given the power and weight of that bike, I was very satisfied with the performance, both wet and dry, of the GTs. Now that the Angel GT IIs are out, I am hoping that someone here will offer a review before my current tires need replacement!  :038:

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
I have an Avon Storm 3D XM rear that now has 7K miles on it and just put a matching front tire on and the dealer service guy couldn't believe the tread condition of the rear with that many miles.  I think it may run somewhere between 12K and 14K miles, and I like the way it handles wet and dry.  Most mileage I've ever gotten on a tire be it Metzeler, Pirelli, or Michelin.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »
JerseyJeff. My Trophy's on it's second set of PR4 GT's and I couldn't be happier. Current set went on at 49,191 kms. [I got 15,408 kms. out of the previous set]. At present I have 60,625 kms. on the odometer after putting 1,014 kms. on the clock last Saturday, an easy day in the saddle. My next set of tyres will be the PR5 GT's if their available when these are finished, if not a third set of PR4 GT's.  :821: :158:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Online dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:29:16 PM »
Keep in mind that 'GT' is simply a model designation, and has no particular, standardized meaning regarding construction, traction, tread wear, or anything else. It is true that within a particular model line, it generally means that this is the tire that is biases a bit towards longevity on a bigger bike, but in no way does this mean that brand ABC's GT tire will definitely last longer than brand XWZ's non-GT named tire.

To wit, I have the longest lasting motorcycle tire that money can buy on the back of my bike (Metzeler ME888) and the letters 'GT' don't appear anywhere on it. The front tire has a 'HWM' designation (Metseler RoadTec 01) which indicates that its construction is optimized for a Heavy Weight Motorcycle...but again, this is just a brand designation, and not any sort of objective measure of anything.

Now, all of that said, I would definitely say that for the Trophy, whenever the tire you're considering has a 'heavy duty' type of option available, take it. The bike is heavy, and it also has a more forward weight bias than many other large touring bikes, and therefore puts more stress on the front tire. The heavy duty type iof construction will reduce carcass flex, which in turn reduces heat, and heat is the enemy of longevity.

Hope that helps someone!

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
Spot on regarding how motorcycle tire manufacturers label tires.  Without looking at the particular tires ratings the nomenclature each mfr. uses on their tires won't tell you much.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies