Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Music skipping using Sena SM10H headsets  (Read 21066 times)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Music skipping using Sena SM10H headsets
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:35:53 pm »
So my wife and I have Sena SMH10's and we took the bike for a short 270 mile trip on Saturday. We were having some issues with the audio. I think it's definitely bike related.

During all the configurations our intercom to each other is crystal clear.

Here's the connection. Me to bike slot one. My iphone to bike slot 2. Her to her iphone. Us to each other on the intercom.
With these connections here music is clear from here iphone as long as I have the radio off. When I turn the radio on it sounds like a skipping record. It sounds the same on my end too when I'm listening to the Triumph radio. Doesn't matter if I'm listening to FM radio or my playlists off my iphone. It's pretty much not even listenable. When she stops playing her music I can tell and almost all of the skips in music go away to the point where its better but not perfect.

We then unpaired everything and tried us both bluetoothed to the bike in slots 1 and 2 and had my iphone hardwired in the glove box. This was much better but again, not perfect. On acceleration you would have bad skips in the music and then would it smooth out somewhat when our speed steadied, but not all the time.

I know it's not the Sena's because if we have them paired only to our iphone's and to each other over intercom they work perfect. And most other people that use them claim they're perfect. So it leads me to believe the problem is with the bike's bluetooth output. When I was listening to the bikes speakers for the first month before I bought the Sena's the music never skipped, which again leads me to believe its the bikes bluetooth transmitter.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Music skipping using Sena SM10H headsets
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:45:15 am »
I have exactly the same problem  using an iPhone and a Scala.  This weekend I finally did the same diagnostic analysis and came to the same conclusion you have. I haven't had time to go to the dealer and likely wont for some time. I'll be very interested to hear your outcome
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline uberchuckie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:48:59 am »
I have the same problem intermittently with my SMH10.  I would power down the headset and reconnect but no real fix.

I have a Bluetooth speaker for playing music on the deck.  It would sometimes skip or just stop playing on its own with my iPhone.  I think it's a general reliability problem with Bluetooth.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR600F4 (track bike)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:03:34 am »
In a different thread I asked about Bluetooth reliability  https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,529.45.html

One poster replied "It is a standard communication protocol designed for permanent connection. It is not something that should drop out." 

I don't have this problem when I connect directly from the headset to the Iphone with the Triumph radio OFF.  So I think it isn't Bluetooth in general.  It is the Triumph Bluetooth unit.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 03:00:37 am »
Yep, I have the same skipping problem. Also, when bike radio is on 'speaker', I can sometimes hear it on the Sena headset, pillion can as well. I have worked out the fault is in the bike, not the headset.

Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:21:10 pm »
I've given up on the built in bluetooth and disconnected. I now connect headset and phone directly bypassing the bike.
Caoimhín

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »
I'd rather not do that.  In the US we have the option of Sirius XM radio and I rather enjoy the clarity and continuity of satellite radio.  Additionally I suspect that FM reception is better on the bike radio merely because of the antenna size.   No it seems to me that asking Triumph to provide Bluetooth in line with industry standards is not asking too much. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:44 pm »
Mine skips as well.  Will be watching fo outcome.

tweedy-bunch