Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Do any Trophy riders here NOT do a full service?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Paul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
  • City / Town: Chicago area
Do any Trophy riders here NOT do a full service?
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:19:38 AM »
I've had many bikes over the years, and other than doing the usual routing maintenance, I've never done a full service on any of them. Granted I had one engine seize up on me, but that was a severely overloaded, air cooled Yamaha 400 that was trying to get me from SC to SD in the middle of summer at 85 MPH. I'm at about 16k so have some time yet, I'm just wondering if anyone skips the major service items as suggested by Triumph, and if so, have you had any problems?

Offline Novocastrian

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
Re: Do any Trophy riders here NOT do a full service?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:07:29 AM »
I guess you can include me in that category.  I can do the basics but I don't lose sleep over failing to change the brake and clutch fluid etc.  My last Trophy (1998 model) ran forever with basic maintenance...oil and filter changes etc.  I had her twenty years and still used the same brake and clutch fluid !  Even the cost of checking valve shims is questionable against the benefit...they are rarely out by more than a couple of thou.

However, that is just my opinion and not a recommendation.  I feel that main dealer service charges are overpriced, not always guaranteed to have been performed fully or even correctly, and some items are unnecessary.

So there's my hat well and truly thrown in the ring.....
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
Any vehicle that I've owned, I've changed the oil and filter religiously, on a yearly basis even though I don't come close in the mileage stakes, that is number one rule in my book. Air filters, fuel filters and spark plugs are also high up on my list too, replacing other fluids etc I sometimes overrun a bit according to the service manuals.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »
Personally, having invested so much Cash in my Trophy, I follow the manufacturers recommendations.

With regards to Brake & Clutch fluid, this is recommended to be changed
on most vehicles every 2 years, regardless of mileage.

The reason ( usually ) given for this is that Brake Fluid is "Hygroscopic" - which means it can absorb water.
If the proportion of water absorbed into Brake Fluid reaches 3%, this can effectively reduce the
temperature at which the Brake Fluid will boil, and produce air bubbles, which will then compress
and can seriously reduce the braking efficiency to a dangerous level.

Moisture within the braking system could also cause corrosion of brake pipes and other components.

What has always puzzled me though is, unless you keep taking the Master Cylinder reservoir cap off
in the rain, or in a very humid environment, how does such water get into the system to become a danger ?

One explanation seems to be that water can be absorbed through rubber brake hoses and seals !

I'm not sure whether I fully believe that or not, but in any event for the sake of a bottle of Brake Fluid
and a little time ( or Labour costs ), I don't think it's worth the risk NOT to change it as specified.

One problem for the Home Mechanic is that to fully bleed through the Trophy system,
the ABS Pump valves need to be opened, and this can only be done by an authorised Dealer
with their Diagnostic equipment, or by use of an after market device such as DealerTool,
either of which is an additional cost !  :087:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:47:07 AM »
Not sure about our system, but I've seen first hand automotive disc brake calipers that had gone without being serviced and upon disassembly there was a definite large area of rust and pitting in the bottom of the caliper that honing would not polish back to serviceable.  Evidence enough that brake systems do indeed accumulate water.  Condensation perhaps from heating a cooling cycles?  I don't know about that, but I do know it occurs.  I have ALL the fluids changed and servicing done on schedule because I've got too much invested in the Trophy and it isn't a disposable item to me.  It's too GOOD, and there is nothing else on the market like it (at least nothing I can afford or want)!
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
For me it’s all servicing done, no exceptions. After about 50, 000klms I will do every second minor service but send it to the shop for the bigger ones.

It’s a nice bike and it’s my life.
2013 Trophy SE
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
I'm approaching 60k miles, & I'll be certain to do the valve clearance check/adjustment.
Previously, I had a couple of UJM's that always needed a valve or two adjusted after about 5k miles. Otherwise, it was rough idle &, eventually, burnt exhaust valves.
I've also heard of a few trophies doing the same.
So, once every 20k is not a lot for the assurance it gives me.
Also, with ABS, if you don't flush the system every few year, it'll gum up & malfunction. Ask H-D about that one, or any late model beemer rider...
So, I do ALL the fluids too.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:54:07 PM by LarryJa »
A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 09:23:32 PM »
The Manufacturers recommend services at prescribed intervals for a reason.
My Trophy has the most generous service intervals of any of the many motorcycles that I have owned, and by a fairly wide margin. For me, the added expense of doing the Services at recommended intervals is an investment in both the Trophy’s and my long term health. Why gamble with something as important as one’s brakes?  :187:

tweedy-bunch