Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Cheap DVR  (Read 142 times)

Offline Paul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
  • City / Town: Chicago area
Cheap DVR
« on: May 23, 2019, 12:59:28 AM »
I've read a few posts regarding DVR's for the Trophy, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on one. Over the weekend, I recycled an older Polaroid car DVR, originally designed to hang down the windshield. While it worked fine on the bike, I had to mount it upside down, and of course there was no setting to invert the recording (even though the image on the LCD was correct). I decided to look around for something else and picked up a Cobra CDR 840 from eBay. You can barely read the settings on the tiny LCD, but there is one that allows you to rotate the camera, so the image on the screen and the recordings have the correct orientation. To mount it, I simply cut the ball off the main mount, then drilled a hole to run a screw through. So it's now mounted to a cheap L bracket from Menard's, sandwiched in between my Ram mount for the tablet and the shelf I added a while back. I took it for a quick spin around the block and the video quality is quite nice. It comes with an 8 GB card too (but I've upgraded to a 32). You can also download free software from the Cobra site that will playback the files, and display a Google map of your route along with your speed. The camera automatically embeds a date/time stamp and lat/long readings on the recording. I've included a short clip to show the quality. A 3 min clip is 319 MB set at factory specs, I might adjust it slightly lower for smaller files sizes and a longer recording.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Electronics-CDR-840-Full-HD-Dash-Cam-with-GPS-G-Sensor/162520993273?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.cobra.com/pages/drive-hd-dash-cam-player
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:45:42 AM by explor202 »

Offline Paul

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
  • City / Town: Chicago area
Re: Cheap DVR
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:58:25 AM »
I came up with an even better mount for the DVR. Found this pre-drilled and pre-painted L bracket at Menard's (damn I love that place!). The holes are a perfect match for the RAM mount, so now it's really secure. It also prevents the composite RAM mount from cracking due to over tightening of the bolts, since the bracket now fits completely underneath instead of just in the center. Hopefully the weather over the long weekend will be dry enough to get out and ride and test the playback later!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:32:40 AM by explor202 »

tweedy-bunch