Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone Running and Having Problems With Michelin Pilot Road 4's?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Antioch
Re: Anyone Running and Having Problems With Michelin Pilot Road 4's?
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
As others have said, I think heavier sport tourers will tend to cup the fronts no matter what. I've dealt with cupped front tires on my Yamaha GTS1000, Kawasaki Concours14, and now my Trophy.

I started running my tires a couple of PSI higher than what the manual calls for (38psi front, 44 psi rear) after I reached out to Pirelli regarding tips to get increased mileage out of my Diablo Rosso II's on my Ducati Diavel. Their recommendation was to try running a couple of psi higher. I've found that helps me get both a little more mileage out of my tires and reduces some of the cupping on the front (the Diavel also cupped the front badly...again probably a weight thing).

Offline baz1

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: basingstoke
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
Just been checking the air in my Angel ST tyres before a run to Cheddar Gorge tomorrow. The profile on the rear is really strange ( wave shaped) at 5600 miles. New set of PR4GTs going on next Wednesday. Hopefully that will improve the handling as I have never really gelled with the STs.
With regard to the PR4 tyres I have always changed mine before 5000 miles, though that was generally because I had a long Euro tour coming up not because they were worn out.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 11:56:45 PM »
I'm also running as a minimum 1 psi higher in the front and 2 psi in the rear, and commonly in the winter months at 2 psi more in the front and 3 psi in the rear.  It gets really hot in Texas in the summer.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »
Interesting thread.

I found running the front at 39psi and rear at 42 works best for me.

Most of the time I get paid to ride my bike and see tyres as a consumable and change a pair at 7,000 to 8,000 miles.  The tyres are always legal (1mm tread depth in the UK) at that point but their performance is compromised and new rubber feels great.

I had to use Dunlop Roadsmart III last time as my dealer had no PR4GT's available and have been so impressed with the Dunlop I put them on again this time.

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave
2016 TTSE

Offline thogland

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wasilla
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
Interesting thread.

I found running the front at 39psi and rear at 42 works best for me.

Most of the time I get paid to ride my bike and see tyres as a consumable and change a pair at 7,000 to 8,000 miles.  The tyres are always legal (1mm tread depth in the UK) at that point but their performance is compromised and new rubber feels great.

I had to use Dunlop Roadsmart III last time as my dealer had no PR4GT's available and have been so impressed with the Dunlop I put them on again this time.

Dave

So, what pressure are you using in the RS3's? I swapped to these last time and am still fiddling with it. 37-38 and 43-44 seems to be right so far.

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
Another way to word the OPs' question would be:

--
Hey guys, I have over 9000 miles on a set of tires, and I'm wondering what sort of party I should have to celebrate this amazing feat of modern technology?

Thanks!
--

:153:

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 07:16:31 AM »
I was asked what pressure I run them at.  Back is always 42.  Front between 36/39.  I think it should be 36 but run at 39 because I have had cupping in the past on PR4GT's and a slightly higher pressure makes the cupping less likely, in MHO.

Update.  I changed the rubber as planned and three days later got a great big screw in the back.  I plugged it on the road with gummy worms and would normally leave it at that and use the tyre untill the planned change at 7,000 to 8,000 miles but last time I did that repair gave up after 4,000 miles whilst away in Italy and that fix cost my a very expensive tyre.

I'm visiting my tyre technician on Wednesday to see what he recomends.

Mammary Glands or wheels it will cause you problems.

Dave
2016 TTSE

tweedy-bunch