Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: First Tour on the Bike  (Read 3856 times)

• Offline baz1   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    169
    • Topic Author

Offline baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: basingstoke
    First Tour on the Bike
    on: Jun 04, 2019, 01.59 pm
    Jun 04, 2019, 01.59 pm
    Just completed a Tour to Northern Spain & Portugal on the TTSE. Mileage at the start was 3400 and its now on 5600.
    1000 miles of that was a two-day dash from the NW of Spain to Cherbourg after our ferry from Santander was cancelled.
    Bike performed almost impeccably though on three occasions I had a stream of coolant being jettisoned from one of the breather hoses beneath the bike. It only seemed to do it when on the side stand after I had been stationary with the engine running with a high ambient air temperature.
    I done think it handles quite as well or is as quick as my previous bikes BMW GSA & Honda ST 1300 when the bike is pushed in tight bends, but is a dream in faster flowing sections.  I currently have the Angel STs fitted, so maybe a change of tyre may help, but they are still looking good with the Mileage covered on them so far.
    It coped well with the long motorway sections, though trying to get any cooling airflow when the air temperature was 36C was a challenge. I suffered minor aching in my knees at the end of a 550 mile day, but that was it. Wife was also very happy with the pillion provision.
    As well as looking at the coolant issue. One of my brake lines is knocking something behind the headstock so I need to look at that. Also, the Bluetooth from the bike radio connected to my sat nav at random times which disconnected my phone. When I removed it from the satnav Bluetooth settings, it tried reconnecting every minute or so which was quite annoying.
    All in all very happy with the bike.

• Offline baz1   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    169
    • Topic Author

Offline baz1

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: basingstoke
    Re: First Tour on the Bike
    Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2019, 02.00 pm
    Jun 04, 2019, 02.00 pm
    Couple more snaps

• Offline Verdun95   fr

• Trophy God  ‐    2825

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
    • City / Town: by CDG Airport
    Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2019, 07.17 pm
    Jun 04, 2019, 07.17 pm
    When replacing the tyres you may want to try the Avon Storm 3Ds. My own experience with them tells me that they handle very well both on dry and wet. They also last much longer than the Pirellis (OEM) and the Dunlops that I also tried. Today I got the tyres replaced and went again for the Avons, despite the fact they are not so easy to get on this side of La Manche
    An old biker must be a good rider

• Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior  ‐    9

Offline DrewKD88

• Trophy Junior
    • Let's Ride!
    • Bike: 17 TriumphTrophySE
    • City / Town: Pasadena, Ca
    Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2019, 10.42 pm
    Jun 04, 2019, 10.42 pm
    I had coolant boiling over as well on trip to the Grand Canyon. The bike tends to heat up rather quickly when stuck in traffic. I routinely will have to split lanes for air cooling or shut the bike off. I took it in for a radiator flush but that did not seem to help. The bike is fine while moving even in 110* weather. I did just come back from a 3,000 mile trip and my only concern was with the temp. Everything else is great.

• Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member  ‐    98

Offline leathers999

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Andover
    Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2019, 11.34 pm
    Jun 04, 2019, 11.34 pm
    +1 for the Avon Storms, excellent grip in wet and dry and never even got close to letting go in the wet. Ware rate is very good so far on 6000 miles and look good for another 4k at least.

• Online HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1276

Online HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2019, 12.37 am
    Jun 05, 2019, 12.37 am
    baz1, looks like your Triumph is having a great holiday, how about you. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos whether you have the seat at the highest position, that would help with the aching in the knees. I'm 6'1 1/2 inches tall and I also use an Airhawk seat cover to raise me up a little more.  Plus I've raised the rear of the riders seat up more by fitting a couple of rubber blocks to the stepped metal bracket that the seat sits on at the rear. About 1 inch higher at the back. Hope this is easy to understand. Sorry I can't show photos, my computer skills aren't that good. I regularly do 1000 kilometre days with this set-up. Cheers. :158:
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Offline DonTom   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    2016

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
    • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
    Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2019, 05.22 am
    Jun 05, 2019, 05.22 am
    *Originally Posted by DrewKD88 [+]
    The bike is fine while moving even in 110* weather.
    Are you sure the radiator fan is coming on normally?

-Don-  Reno, NV
    1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

• Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member  ‐    53

Offline geoffyboy

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2013 silver TrophySE
    • City / Town: Moreton, Wirral
    Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2019, 08.29 am
    Jun 05, 2019, 08.29 am
    Hi Baz1 I had a similar coolant incident on a European trip last year. Possibly relevant before leaving the UK I had topped the coolant up to the max line. Half way through the trip, after sitting for ages on tick over under a hot sun waiting to enter a hotel garage (in hindsight should've turned the engine off) a large pool of coolant formed under the bike when I eventually parked it on the side stand. However the coolant level was still just above minimum and the bike performed perfectly for the rest of the trip. When I got home I topped up the coolant to about 3/4 level and haven't had this happen again. I have PR4 GT's on mine and find they flick through tighter corners brilliantly. Glad you enjoyed your trip and +1 to fast flowing corners - the Trophy loves them.  :001:
    Life isn't a dress rehearsal so enjoy it.

tweedy-bunch