Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy test ride  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Trophy test ride
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
Hi,

I have had three Sprint ST 1050's (for various reasons) since they arrived in '05 and a GT since August this year and was happy with them until I had a demo ride a week or so ago on the new Trophy, litterally did not stop grinning from feet up until I got back some 40-50 miles later. Mixture of A & B roads and motorways. Ordered one the next day.

Between ST and GT (I felt I needed an upright riding position) my wife and I did have a test ride on an RT, not impressed, vibrated, clonky gearbox....agricultural!!!!

Offline gogs01

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200RT SE
  • City / Town: Dundee
Re: Trophy test ride
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Hi,

My only previous Triumph was a '99 Trophy 1200, and almost all of the other bikes I've had over the last 30 years have been Japanese.

My last two bikes have been BMW R1200RTs and while I can understand your comments, I have found them to be comfortable and with handling that makes it possible to keep up with more poweful machinery. If they wre better made and more reliable I would buy another in a minute.

Your asssment of the Trophy interests me and the sooner I can test ride it myself the better !  Maybe I'll be back on a Triumph in 2013 !!

Offline Triplemania

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
Hi,

I too have had a few Japanese bikes which have always been reliable and smooth but before most of these I had early Triumph's '59 Tiger110 and two 650cc  Bonneville's '61(pre Unit) and a '69 (Unit) and two BMW's a '57 R50 and '74 R75 and I must say that the BMW's at that time were far superior ride wise. But they don't appear to have moved on that much with the boxer engine and gearbox in a lot of years. Also the vibration my wife felt on the pillion of the '61 plate demo we took out would be totally unbearable for any distance she said.

By comparison Triumph have completely redesigned the Trophy taking 5 years to bring it to fruition and I think you'll find a definite contrast to your '99 Trophy let alone the RT. Would be very surprised if you didn't.......but the proof of the pudding etc

Be interested to hear how your test ride goes.

Offline gogs01

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200RT SE
  • City / Town: Dundee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Triplemania [+]
.......but the proof of the pudding etc

Be interested to hear how your test ride goes.

Probably have to wait until March now !