Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: How noisy is your engine  (Read 3884 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    How noisy is your engine
    on: Jun 21, 2019, 07.55 pm
    Jun 21, 2019, 07.55 pm
    Evening all, I've not posted on here for a while due to work, being out of the country etc etc, but my question is this,
    Does your engine rattle, or am I being over what ever the word is I'm looking for .  :084:

When I first start it up obviously, until the oil has been sent around the engine, for a few seconds it rattles, but I'm unsure if the timing chain is worn or requires adjustment, the bike has done 24500 miles and had it's major service, I did the work myself, but will admit to not checking the timing chain as all the other tolerances was within there tolerance measurement.

Also when I pull the clutch lever in the clutch mechanism is quieter, more than when released...maybe it's just me, I can't compare it to another trophy as there isn't anyone one local enough to myself to compare with, but it looks like ripping it apart again to do the drive chain.  :034:

The bike is a late registered 2013.       
    Paul Wilko

• Offline LarryJa   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    227

Offline LarryJa

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Cedarbrook, NJ
    Re: How noisy is your engine
    Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2019, 09.49 pm
    Jun 21, 2019, 09.49 pm
    I recently did my 1st engine oil change on my 2013 SE. I went with Castrol 10w50 4t synthetic. It quieted the engine down, especially at start up.
    I think the previous owner used Castrol 20w50 4t synthetic, as the 10w50 is hard to find.
    The cam chain tensioner now takes up all the slack, on start up, much faster. Hence, the engine is quieter sooner.
    As far as the clutch goes, when the lever is released in neutral, there are lots of "pieces" rattling around their normal clearances. Most of that goes away, once in gear.
    I'd say the the trophy drivetrain is noisier than the BMW K1200LT that I had before, but not by much.
    A good man once told me, "Don't sell your bike. It's your soul."....

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    771

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2019, 01.03 am
    Jun 22, 2019, 01.03 am
    The 1215 Trophy has got to be one of the noisiest motorcycles on the planet.   It is also one of the most fun bikes I have ever experienced in 47 years of riding.  Put a pair of earplugs in your ears and have a ball.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10074

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2019, 08.27 am
    Jun 22, 2019, 08.27 am
    Hi Paul,

If you want to do a side by side comparison with my 2017 Trophy
    that has just been Dealer serviced, I may be free on Sunday afternoon,
    or Tuesday afternoon, or Wednesday if you're free ( Weather permitting ) ?

Drop me a PM to arrange  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 09.08 pm by Coconut

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2019, 08.52 am
    Jun 22, 2019, 08.52 am
    *Originally Posted by nervouswreck [+]
    The 1215 Trophy has got to be one of the noisiest motorcycles on the planet.   It is also one of the most fun bikes I have ever experienced in 47 years of riding.  Put a pair of earplugs in your ears and have a ball.

Ear plugs? How you gonna hear the music then? :008:

On a side note about dealer servicing, I had a conversation with an ex Triumph workshop technican, he witnessed some bikes with this engine going back to the customer without the cam time tensioning procedure actually being done!

It didn't surprise me to be honest, I've witnessed similar in the car trade, when a 'special tool' is required or the item is awkward to get at such checks/adjustments are just left.

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2019, 02.37 pm
    Jun 22, 2019, 02.37 pm

I agree my 2015 was a bit of a disappointment in the engine noise department but still miles ahead of my 2011 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom.  On every V-Strom message board there are numerous questions about engine noise with included videos posted demonstrating same.  Always the answer is wear ear plugs.  I do anyway to fend off tinnitus but that's a different story.  I guess it's time to "upgrade" my exhaust.  :002:

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    198

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2019, 03.34 am
    Jul 29, 2019, 03.34 am

Having just traded in my 2011 Harley with a Twin Cam 103 for a Trophy, this first comment made me chuckle!  And I fully agree with the second part!
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro  ‐    133

Offline teef.au

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2019, 12.03 pm
    Jul 29, 2019, 12.03 pm
    I think that noise travels in a weird way up under your full face helmet so that you end up thinking that your bike is noisier than everyone else's. Despite reports of noise, nothing bad ever happens to these engines. Apart from a handful of known issues they are quite bullet proof.
    2013 Trophy SE
    2012 Tiger 1050 SE
    2013 R1200GS
    2006 CBR1100XX