Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Pulsing Front Brakes  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Pulsing Front Brakes
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
I've had the same pulsing front brake issues that others on this forum report for about 10,000 plus miles on my 2013 Trophy. Each time I've had it in for service the dealership acknowledges the problem, but they test the rotors and they are within spec. Bike is long out of warranty so getting them replaced by Triumph is not going to happen. It's gotten really bad and so I finally purcahsed EBC rotors and pads to replace the stock ones. Bike has 27,000 miles.

Look at the pictures I took yesterday of the outside front brake pads. The brake pads on the top are worn almost all the way through. The bottom ones have more that half of their life left.

I'm sure that's whats made the pulsing worse, but what could have caused them to get this bad in the first place?

I am friends with a salesman who works at a large BMW/Triumph dealership in PA. He loved the Trophy so much he bought one and put over 20,000 miles on it. But he traded it in last year because he hated the front brakes so much. He has a theory about the front brakes on the Trophy. They think "the Nissin calipers are a bad design - the diameter of the fluid orifice between top and bottom pistons doesn't match the main fluid intake orifice. The brakes apply fairly evenly but when you release the lever, the fluid in the lower chamber takes longer to flow back. The result is half a brake pad taking its time to leave the rotor.....the heat build up eventually warps the rotors. I was gonna have the service department drill the holes to same diameter but it was still under warranty so I just traded the damn thing instead"

2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Pulsing Front Brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
I'm not qualified to comment on Caliper design, but it is interesting to note
that the new Tiger 1200 Models, are fitted with :

"Twin 305 mm floating discs, radially mounted monobloc Brembo 4-piston calipers Brembo Calipers" !  :084:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
Funny thing is he loved the bike so much he had contacted Brembo just to see if they had any calipers that were a close enough fit that maybe he could get those to work. But the answer was no.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 02:57:26 AM »
I just replaced my front pads at 41,000 miles.  Pad wear was even except one pad.  I think this is the pad used in the front when the rear brakes are used.  This is a linked system.  This is the exact same system used in FJRs for many years.
My 2007 BMW 1200RT had Brembo  brakes.  People complained about pulsing and the standard cure was to clean the bobbins on the rotor.

Except for the single pads i probably could have put another 20,000 miles on them.
Rear pads were paper thin at 16,000 and 41,000 miles.
I understand new BMW 1200RT do not use Brembo  brakes.
2016 Tiger 800XR

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »
Nissin is a quality caliper. Honda uses them on their ultra high performance sport bikes. I have them on my CB1100 and they are perfect.

My usual counterpoint: My bike has 20k+ miles, I never clean the bobbins, and I have no issues with the front (or rear) rotors, or the brakes in general.

I'm not super familiar with the combined brake feature of our bike, but I wonder if the wear on the other pad you're seeing is due to the combined brake function of the rear pedal activating a single front piston.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:56:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
Nissin is a quality caliper. Honda uses them on their ultra high performance sport bikes. I have them on my CB1100 and they are perfect.

My usual counterpoint: My bike has 20k+ miles, I never clean the bobbins, and I have no issues with the front (or rear) rotors, or the brakes in general.

I'm not super familiar with the combined brake feature of our bike, but I wonder if the wear on the other pad you're seeing is due to the combined brake function of the rear pedal activating a single front piston.

Yes, that's exactly why one pad was worn.
2016 Tiger 800XR

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »
 I wish there was a way using computer software to disable the linked brakes so that we can find out if the pulsing front brakes have something to do with the linked brake system.

Offline Mikestrophy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »
Hi Luckycharms. The Trophy is a great bike but the front brakes are rubbish. After you have some distance on the EBCs could you report back with your opinion.

Also, to anyone else who has switched to EBC and has an opinion on whether they are better/worse could you post here. I would value any opinions as I have had enough of this and either the OEM brakes go or the entire bike goes. Not good enough Triumph. :233:

tweedy-bunch