Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: No Horn, Front & Rear Position Lights or Brake Light.  (Read 2629 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: No Horn, Front & Rear Position Lights or Brake Light.
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by simbad [+]
So after a few minutes work the suspected problem became clear ...

I think I'd rather repair myself and know that it will last while with some extra length and protection around the areas that are prone to fraying.  I get to keep my keys the same and thanks to the advice on here the job is all do-able.

I totally agree with you, do the job yourself rather than let a Triumph technician just fit another switch/wire assembly which will no doubt also fail at some point in the future.

Have you thought about trying to modify the way those wires actually exit the ignition switch housing? It's the rubbing on the hard brake line that does it, poor design, those wires should exit straight down in my opinion.

Offline simbad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Cardiff
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »
It’s an interesting design for sure. The plastic tube edge that sits horizontal to the ignition base definitely rubs on the wire, that seems to be where the pressure is exerted on the wires. See photo in post 22 which looks similar to mine.

My current plan is to shrink wrap and tape up that part of the wiring.

I am guessing the reason for the plastic cover and tube might be weather related? Stopping spray and dirt to the base of the ignition. Just a thought.

Open to any ideas 💡 and advice on how to ensure a good solder joint 🤪
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:45:13 PM by simbad »

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »
Eliminating the rubbing/brake hose riding up and down that area is the key I feel, no matter how strong the solder joints are.

If we can't reroute that brake line then the base of the ignition housing must be altered/adapted is the only other option. If we have to stick with the wires exiting at 90 degrees then how about sourcing a slightly larger and slightly longer 'elbow' piece of say plastic plumbing pipe, cut it in half and clamp around the whole thing?

I dunno, there isn't much room in there is there,....shame that Triumph HQ didn't address this problem. :003:   

Offline simbad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »
All done and dusted today - wires extended and cabling routed as best you can with all that's going on around the bars. Plenty of heatshrink and insulation tape should keep the issue at bay.

Considered taking the cables out a different way - but stuck with it for now. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a hole in the plastic cap and drop the cables out vertically. You'd need the extra length in the cabling but it's possible

Here it is all taped up .. I know the wires should all be together but somehow I made two shorted than the others!

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
Some fine Basket Weaving there ! - Not to mention the Wiring !  :745:

Glad you've got it all sorted - Mind your toes !  :028:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline simbad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
 :047:  :745:

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by simbad [+]
All done and dusted today - wires extended and cabling routed as best you can with all that's going on around the bars. Plenty of heatshrink and insulation tape should keep the issue at bay.

Considered taking the cables out a different way - but stuck with it for now. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a hole in the plastic cap and drop the cables out vertically. You'd need the extra length in the cabling but it's possible

Here it is all taped up .. I know the wires should all be together but somehow I made two shorted than the others!

Yes, drilling an hole so the wires can drop straight down is an idea, not sure how much room there would be on the inside of that plastic cover to use some sort of 'cable camp' to take the strain/prevent the wires being pulled out over time.

I'm leaning towards modifying/making the original exit point a bit longer, this is exactly where the wires fail, for those who may not know. I guess that it would be fairly easy for those in the know to make a longer cover with a 3D printer but it's the other side of that plastic ignition housing that makes contact with the hose,....there's not much surface area to add something to it, just a cable tie really.

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
Might be a stupid question... but do we really need that plastic cover?

What does it actually do / any real reason for it?

Just a thought - wires might then be under less tension without it. :084:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

tweedy-bunch