Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Adding Yamalube to gas?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Gargamel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE, 79 CX500
  • City / Town: Sheboygan
Adding Yamalube to gas?
« on: July 06, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »
I just purchased a 2013 TTSE with 12K miles. The dealer (Triumph/Kawasaki/Yamaha) recommended adding a few ounces of Yamalube to the gas. I didn't question it at the time, but does anybody else regularly use additives? This is not including any stabilizers for storage or occasional injector cleaning additives like SeaFoam?

I've found topics here regarding Ethanol gas, but haven't found much mentioning this product specifically.

They didn't say it was necessary just a "hey if really want to..." sort of thing. The recommended amount was about 2-3oz per 5 gallons.

I might give it a shot but if the cost of one is as high as Amazon's price ($26 for 12oz), I may think twice.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Yamalube-ACC-RNGFR-PL-12-Ring-Additive/dp/B002GU4SN2/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=yamalube&qid=1562434647&s=gateway&sr=8-11

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: Adding Yamalube to gas?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »
I use it in my boat tank because the boat sits for 6 months. My bike doesn’t sit that long, so I don’t.

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 07:14:42 PM »
I've never heard of the stuff ! - We don't have Ethanol fuel in the UK though.
Perhaps Yamaha's "need "it, but I don't think there's a "Triumphlube" fuel additive !

Whenever I hear comments like, "It doesn't need it, but we recommend it...."
I translate that into, "This is the Add On sale I am pushing this week !"

Not related but a similar situation was a VW Franchised Car Dealer where I took a 3 year old VW
for it's first "MOT Test" ( UK required Test of mechanical condition / safety inspection etc ).

The Sales receptionist politely asked if I wanted them to "Do the fuel treatment to help pass the Emissions Test ?",
which was "only" an additional GBP £25.00.  I declined and said if their engines couldn't pass such
a test after 3 year and less than average miles without that treatment, there was something seriously
wrong with the engine that a bottle of their Magic additive was unlikely to fix !

If you ask the Manufacturer's Technical Support department ( I did ), they will answer,
"We do not recommend the use of ANY additive in ANY of our engines, at ANY time !

... but their Franchises and Dealerships will try and sell you the stuff - as it's more profit for them !

I no longer own a VW, or use any of that Franchises Dealerships !   :164:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:18:12 PM by Coconut »
Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »
Even with ethanol fuels, if you ride frequently enough do not worry about it.  I will admit to running some Seafoam through it about once a year.  On my Goldwing (carb'd) it did make a difference.  On this bike I assume it just makes sure all is clear.  And a full bottle is only about $7.
Year round rider here!

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
What was the reason for doing this? Or, what problem was it that they were suggesting this would fix/what issue was the dealer suggesting warranted doing that?

I'm asking rhetorically; there is no reason at all to do this. Save your money.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
I've never put anything but US Regular unleaded with the 10% (ridiculous) ethanol blended fuel in mine and have never had any performance, starting, or other problems.  Ethanol is the biggest smokescreen this government has ever released.  LPG for fuel? Now, that's a whole different class of clean burning power that never dirties up the oil.  Saw that first hand at a company I used to work for that took down a 350 ci Chevy engine that had been on propane for 72,000 miles and you could see the machine marks on top of the pistons with just an imperceptable hint of milk chocolate color combustion residue on them.  Sorry now back to additives.  Lots on the BMW forums are using additives, but none of them have any concrete after the fact evidence that it really does anything other than lighten their wallet and keep them from buying BMW accessories. :745:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
BMW- Bring My Wallet.

That's correct right?
Year round rider here!

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
I don't add anything to the gas, all we have is 10% ethanol. I've had two bikes sit for over a year with ethanol in the tank with no stabilizer. Pumped it out, put fresh gas in, both bikes started immediately and ran perfectly. I don't think ethanol gas is the boogeyman people make it out to be.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch