Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Please Help!! cranking no start  (Read 790 times)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Please Help!! cranking no start
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 05:39:44 AM »
Intriguing  !

Good to hear you're back on the road  :028:

Looking forward to hearing what the problem was !

Cheees :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline Jonesin

• Trophy Member
  • Canadian Biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fort McMurray
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 05:56:28 AM »
 :046:

Glad to hear you're mobile again. Like the others I look forward to hearing the details.

Enjoy the ride. I do the same trip to Ottawa, but in September.
1984 Honda Shadow 500, bought it in boxes, tinkered with her for 2 years from age 14-16
2002 Suzuki
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
Come on brbo - We're all waiting to hear ! :169:

I'm guessing it might have been something "silly"  :164:   But please do share -
it might save someone else from the same problem !  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
I wish I could tell you it was something silly however that's not the case.

As I mentioned previously the reason I was waiting to reply was to get the complete story from the dealer however that still has not happened, but let me explain the story as far as I can....

Okay the situation is that I am in a rush in the next 5 days to get back across the country 5000km

So not sure where I left off however I am quite the diagnostic type - so I'm kinda a dog with a bone and was trying everything - PS and note I had very limited tools other than my test meter tire repair kit and the necessary spanners and torx/allen keys required. BTW over Monday/Tuesday it started 3-4 times by fluke after an extended crank and didn't sound good on start but after firing it came to life 100% even went for a ride no issues running perfect.....so what does this mean....

All this diag was on the side stand due to location... not sure if that mattered but I put it on the centered stand - check every relay / fuse everything was good plus all the previous preliminary stuff I know and was recommended from Forum folks (thank you). Remember this bike rode after a 9 month storage for 5hrs amazingly - without even a hiccup - no start issue it was rather fast actually, no stumble no fueling issues nothing rode amazing... Came back that Sunday and it sat 5hrs and then this is when problem started - and all it would do is crank. There was no battery issue it crank hard and good and well above 10.5v on crank - so it had to be an input issue. But if it were the kill switch / clutch / side stand it wouldn't crank - all tested fine....plus each of these should have left a code.... BTW no codes except when I ran bat down from cranking which was P1698 maybe I forgot now.... then I thought perhaps the gear position switch as this is the only other thing that could cause a no crank no start.... kicked into first up to six and back to N - still crank only....fiddle with it in N up and down and bam as I was cranking it while fiddling it fired right up very well.....

AAAhhhh my troubles are over... I need this switch, which actually had been replaced under Warranty early in the bikes life for false readings during cold but still worked....well no one had the switch and it would be a 3-4 day wait before I could get the part.... but I had to go, so after bike cooled down came back to start it - no start / crank only again !!!! BUT I have the fix now - fiddle with switch while cranking - BUT this time it didn't work :087:  Ahh crap.... so this is now late day Tuesday..... so what I had thought may not be the the issue to begin with, back to the forums and more reading, and then I started thinking maybe there is module creating a memory for a part that wont allow it to fire but doesn't create a code....possibly that shifter switch or some other part - so I decided to remove battery juice from bike and let it sit for 20 minutes to possibly clear whatever it could be..... did that and came back and it still just cranked BUT I again tried fiddling with shifter as I was cranking and it came alive again and started.....

Okay so have I narrowed it down the shifter which could be causing the issue and leaving a memory in a module that would come back as it was cold.... So the BIG question is can I ride this thing across Canada and each time it gets cold I unhook the battery for 20 and try to start it by fiddling with shifter.... well that seemed a bit too MacGiver for such a long trip....which I wouldn't be able to live with... I like things to work 'properly'

So at least I can get it going maybe ? I had only confirmed this 'fix' twice and seemed to work.... Now going into Wednesday bike is packed and I had to roll... but armed with my series of steps I can get this thing to work to at least get my trip started.... well Wednesday AM was not a good one because even my trick didn't even work this time....so what to do - I started looking and fiddling with everything and unhooking wires cable and reinstalling them well and just going over the bike - and after an hour I finally got the bike to run. Went directly to dealer an hour away. HELP....

Sits at dealer for maybe an hour and Shop Foreman comes out - to a warm bike and a no start which is now really odd because it only happened cold before pushed it in... went over a few things and miraculously it started right up - so he tested a few things found nothing and took it for a test ride and agreed everything was 100% once started, but he did note - that one of the exhaust was cold as he sprayed water on them and one didn't steam.... great idea I never thought of for diag to confirm all cyl. are alive....BUT but this adds another layer into the issue - because out of all those 1/2/5hr rides this thing rode like a top it definitely was not missing a cylinder firing.... guaranteed...

So after a few hours on the bench and the foreman not being able to find anything they were scratching their heads... and said they needed more time and another day at least to find whats going on here....unfortunately for me the only waiting room was in the showroom and kept remembering all those articles I read about the new Tiger and all the billboards in house showing the $2000 off and free $2500 in luggage... needless to say I got home ON TIME but not on my trusty Trophy Stead, but a top a new xcA in Matt Marine.....

So the story will continue... I am simply waiting for the shop to get back to me, about what they found with their newly acquired trade in....

Not to worry Coconut I will keep the Forum posted of the final results, I understand completely on the value of these issues being recorded and documented for future use.....tbc...
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 06:34:46 AM »
Thanks for the update ( so far ! ).

Quite a drastic, but understandable solution to your Tour !

It will be interesting to hear what the Dealer finds.  :169:

Cheers, and Stay Safe - Whatever you ride !  :028:

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 02:00:59 AM »
2 more contacts to service manager at dealer and still claiming haven't got to looking at it..... sad....
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

tweedy-bunch