Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: 5000miles and cupped  (Read 4263 times)

• Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro  ‐    115
    • Topic Author

Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Cookeville, TN
    5000miles and cupped
    on: Jul 13, 2019, 02.41 am
    Jul 13, 2019, 02.41 am
    I have just 5 thousand miles on my 17 Trophy. I fun 36/46 for pressure. Both front and have started to cup. Is this common with Pirellis.... had them on another bike and had a similar issue..  Is there something I can do to mitigate this?

• Offline Stoney   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    818

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
    • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
    Re: 5000miles and cupped
    Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2019, 03.25 am
    Jul 13, 2019, 03.25 am
    So far, after 75K on 2 Trophys, every tire I've used, Pirelli Angel ST, Angel GT, and Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT, have cupped in the front.  No problem on the rear, other than the usual squaring off the center.  I think it's just a characteristic of heavy touring bikes.  Now riding on Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires, but too soon to tell what the wear patterns are going to be.
    STONEY

• Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro  ‐    115
    • Topic Author

Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2019, 03.29 am
    Jul 13, 2019, 03.29 am
    Thanks Stoney...  Its definitely different than my Speed Triple.  Even though it has the same size tires

• Offline Stoney   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    818

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
    • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
    Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2019, 03.41 am
    Jul 13, 2019, 03.41 am
    Very happy with the Dunlops so far, by the way.  Really like the Angel GTs, but the Michelins always felt a bit 'squishy' in the corners, but wore as well as the Pirellis.  Assuming you have the OEM Angel STs on your bike, good tires, but wear out a bit quicker.  After the Dunlops, I'll likely try the new Angel GT II tires, unless I can get over 13-14K on the Dunlops.  Always searching for the best tire!
    STONEY

• Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro  ‐    115
    • Topic Author

Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2019, 01.20 pm
    Jul 13, 2019, 01.20 pm
    i went from Pirellis to Dunlop on the Speed Triple and love them..You have helped me make up my mind..I may have to adjust my air pressure

• Offline Saddle Tramp   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    1323

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
    • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
    Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2019, 01.58 pm
    Jul 13, 2019, 01.58 pm
    Just think about all the added weight of the big triple engine and full fairing being transferred to the front tire when braking, and you will understand why the tire deforms and cups. I had the same situation on my previous BMW K1600GTL, and the Master Mechanic at the Dealership described front tire cupping as the price of admission for a Sport Touring motorcycle. He also was quick to mention that although it looks bad, it has minimal effect on handling.

Also note that when you go to replace your tires, Triumph recommends purchasing an “A” specification front tire with additional sidewall reinforcement when available.

I came to really appreciate the Pirelli Angel GTs on my GTL, but decided to give the Avon Storms a try on my Trophy after trophied’s glowing endorsement.  :152:
    Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

• Offline darmah59

• Trophy Member  ‐    88

Offline darmah59

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: SALINE
    Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2019, 02.24 pm
    Jul 14, 2019, 02.24 pm
    Why the high pressure on the rear tire? I adjust mine based on ambient temp and try and target 40/46 hot. Of all the tires so far tried the Road Smart 3 are about the best, but time will tell. Much better than the overpriced french stuff, and while I like the GT's the handling goes away rapidly as they where.
    As for the cupping, some of it is due to the weight, but often it is due to suspension settings and tire pressures. Worth doing some research and playing with the TES to see what works.

• Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro  ‐    115
    • Topic Author

Offline Dad

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2019, 02.52 am
    Jul 16, 2019, 02.52 am
    Thanks for your input..  ST what air pressure are you using...  I think it is an issue of pressure for sure...looking for info from more experienced trophy riders

tweedy-bunch