Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 5000miles and cupped  (Read 920 times)

Offline Delboy

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Selby
Re: 5000miles and cupped
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
I had a similar problem with PR5's.  I had to have the front replaced after 5K as it was becoming un-ridable due to the cupping.  Triumph recommend 36 42 but on my ZZR, Kawasaki recommend 42 42 and its a lighter bike.  Anyway long story short I had a new PR5 fitted to the front and raised the pressure to 42psi, 11 thousand miles later and it is just about to the wear marks and ready for changing, no cupping and only marginal flattening. :028:

So my non scientific conclusion to this test would be to raise the psi to 42, it worked for me at least

Offline Dad

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Cookeville, TN
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »
I will try the higher pressure. I bought a replacement set of Pirellis because I got a price too good to refuse. I run 34/44 on my Speed Triple with great results.. and its lighter with same size tyres

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 04:12:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stoney [+]
So far, after 75K on 2 Trophys, every tire I've used, Pirelli Angel ST, Angel GT, and Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT, have cupped in the front.  No problem on the rear, other than the usual squaring off the center.  I think it's just a characteristic of heavy touring bikes.  Now riding on Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires, but too soon to tell what the wear patterns are going to be.

Yep. I've never had a front tire not get cupped to some extent on any heavy bike I've ever owned.

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Antioch
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 05:46:41 PM »
I've owned three other bikes (Yamaha GTS1000, Kawasaki Concours14, Ducati Diavel) that also cupped the front tire pretty severely (the GTS1000 was the worst). Like was mentioned before, I find higher pressures than what the bike manufacturer recommends helps. When I reached out to Pirelli for any advice on getting maximum mileage out of the Rosso II's on my Diavel, it was their suggestion to run them a couple of PSI higher than what Ducati recommended.  I currently run 38psi on my fronts and while they still cup, it's not as bad. I may go to 40psi the next time I put a fresh set on since my Energica Esse Esse 9 runs 42psi front and rear as per Energica and it's nearly as heavy as the Trophy (621lbs).

Offline Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Pro
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wisconsin N. Woods
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »
My BMW K1600GTL called for 42 psi both front and rear, and the front tire still cupped over time. It's just part and parcel of Touring bike Ownership. I tend to follow Manufacturer recommendations for cold tire pressure. They must have a reason for where they set them...

Offline bjtourer

• Trophy Member
  • Sooo, what is around the next corner?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bendigo
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
I've had a few different tyres on the Trophy and after 18,000kms+ on current Angel GTs with good handling, am sticking with the Angels.  I used to primarily ride in hilly country and had no difficulty with cupping.  Since moving to Bendigo and its straighter roads, I've had trouble with cupping, as has my wife's Burgman 650.  I've run tyres at 42psi each end and reverted to factory pressures of 36/42.  The cupping in any case has not seemed to affect handling so we just 'suck it up'

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
Had tires changed in GA at a shop that specializes in that.  Guy took one look at my front tire, which was cupping and said, "you need 2-3 more pounds of tire pressure than you are running".
I started using 38 in the front and now .. no cupping.
IMHO Avon Storm XM's are the best tire for the TTSE...  And Shinko Verge are the worst I've tried.
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »
More pressure helps sometimes...glad you got it sorted. I like the Storms too...great tires. I'm loving my ME888/Roadtec combo. 9k out of the rear tire...that is a record for me ever, but over 4500 miles!

tweedy-bunch