Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: READY TO UPGRADE  (Read 406 times)

Offline woodydel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1996 Trophy 1200
READY TO UPGRADE
« on: July 18, 2019, 04:37:52 AM »
New here because I'm about to upgrade to a 2013 Trophy. I ride a 96 Trophy 1200 and it's still fast but I seem to need the bells and whistles of the newer models. I also ride a 2016 America with all the possible Triumph branded accessories but it's still a plain and simple ride (air cooled isn't bad). Fake carbs something to fool the Harley crowd.

So I'll look around before I plunge. I frequent the local Triumph dealer but the sticker shock is something else. A year ago the prices were high but now and new Tiger is 22K and without a top box.

So far a 2013 Trophy seems to be the bargain I need.

Hope there's lots to read.

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
Re: READY TO UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
I spent years on the four cylinder Trophy and have had a TTSE for the last 10 months.  I did a 2,500 mile trip last month.  The differences are....far more electronics and gadgets, some are pointless in my opinion (heated seats for example, but that's just my opinion).  It is a much bigger bike, wider and heavier.  You need to have at least a 29 inch leg to get your feet anywhere near comfortably on the ground (due to the width of the bike rather than the height of the seat).  Whereas the previous Trophy could be pushed about easily, a reverse gear would be useful at times on the TTSE. It is much more top heavy and a bit of a handful in very slow manoeuvres, and if there's gravel underneath, your feet can easily slip away.  But on the road, they ride like a dream, are comfortable and are something of head turners.  The audio facility is pretty good with sat nav, radio or USB music when bluetoothed to a helmet.  Great bikes....and a lot more mpg than the previous 1200s.  The shaft drive is brilliant...no more fannying around with chain lube and adjustment.

Luggage capacity is less than the previous 1200 though  :155:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:13:25 AM by Novocastrian »
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
    Hi woodydel and :400: to the Forum !

Hope there's lots to read.

Statistics as of just now : 107664 Posts in 8541 Topics - by 3417 Members !

You might find this one useful :

What to look for when Buying a Pre-Owned ( Used ) Trophy SE

I had the previous Troohy Model too, albeit the 900xx version.
( There's a picture of my bike outside my parents house in the "History of the Trophy" Section. )

You will be impressed with the multitude of improvements :

• Shaft Drive
  • ABS
  • Linked Brakes
  • Traction Control
  • Motorised Screen
  • Electrically Adjustable Suspension
  • Audio System
  • Heated Seats & Grips Option
  • Auto Locking Glove Box
  • Single key needed to open and / or remove Panniers or Top Box
  • .... and more - Then there's the ride and handling !

Cheers  :821:

[/list]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:57:37 AM by Coconut »
Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:43:08 PM »
All of coconut's list is exactly why I bought the Trophy, AND, the longer maintenance intervals than the BMW I was riding when I retired.  It's a superb handling, comfortable, long hours ride machine.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline woodydel

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1996 Trophy 1200
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 12:48:39 AM »
Thanks for the excellent critiques. I will have to find a 2013 nearby to test fit my legs. I'm challenged with leg reach already and backing up even a slight incline is next to impossible. Even pushing forward makes me self conscious grabbing for the ground with my feet.

The list is impressive and the only thing on the list on my current Trophy is the heated grips. Looking at pictures simply did not translate into being a bigger bike.

This is my current Trophy. She is still fast and handles great with or without bags. Like the newer Trophy one key for everything.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
Welcome aboard  :821: Hope you'll take the jump and find a 2013 Trophy that suits you  :152:
An old biker must be a good rider

tweedy-bunch