Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: GPS mount for a great price?!?!  (Read 3475 times)

• Offline dandrumheller   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194
    • Topic Author

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lebanon ME
    GPS mount for a great price?!?!
    on: Jul 23, 2019, 03.48 pm
    Jul 23, 2019, 03.48 pm
    Good morning all,

Very new owner here (not even 24 hours yet) and the farkle process has begun (coming from Harley, this isn't a new experience for me  :001:)

I just ordered what I think, and hope, to be the correct part number for the OEM GPS mount kit from BikeBandit.  But their online prices appeared to be swapped for the kit vs the mounting bracket individual part.  The kit is listed there for $15 US, and the bracket alone for $40. 

At any rate, I ordered the kit for the $15 list price.  Part number matches other sources for the kit that appear to have the regular $40-$50 price tag.

Here's the BikeBandit link for anyone else interested in picking this up.  Hopefully I don't get a 'we screwed up' email from them shortly.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/triumph/a9828011/b3126341?CRTP=psc&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDM3ucPfiJmHJ-Tt2RhjdUzHX8FV6L0txe2LSsxPpEeNd5OIh_Ew1lxoCzToQAvD_BwE

Also, I'm hunting for a Zumo 660 style mounting cradle to attach to the GPS mount.  I don't need the power or comms cables for it - just a mechanically sound cradle.  I rigged up a cell phone case with a Garmin cradle weather cover to mount my phone (for NAV use) on the Garmin cradle on my previous bike and it worked extremely well.  Trying to do the same again.  If anyone has any good sources for these I'd appreciate it.  Seems like complete cradle kits are pretty pricey when I can find them. 

Thanks all!

Dan
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline thogland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    139

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    Re: GPS mount for a great price?!?!
    Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2019, 05.56 pm
    Jul 23, 2019, 05.56 pm
    Hmmm - maybe this explains why my used A9828011 isn't selling  :084:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9947

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2019, 08.09 pm
    Jul 23, 2019, 08.09 pm
    Check out GPS City.com .....

Something like this could be fixed onto the Triumph Sat Nav mount : RAM-B-347U - Rectangular RAM Mount

I picked that one at random - others are available in different sizes,
    so check the mounting holes will line up ! )

Then, a RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Mobile Phone Cradle with 1 inch B-Ball with Tether
    could be used to hold the Phone.

The two would be linked together with a RAM Mount Plastic 1.75'' Short Arm with Double 1'' dia Socket

Total cost around US $42.50 - Any good ?

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 07.15 pm by Coconut

• Offline kepi

• Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline kepi

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Edmonton
    Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2019, 09.01 pm
    Jul 23, 2019, 09.01 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    Something like this could be fixed onto the Triumph Sat Nav mount : RAM-B-347U - Rectangular RAM Mount

I can confirm that RAM Mount base works well because I have that exact one between my Sat Nav mount and my TomTom Rider 550.

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194
    • Topic Author

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2019, 02.36 am
    Jul 24, 2019, 02.36 am
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    Check out GPS City.com .....

Then, a RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Mobile Phone Cradle with 1 inch B-Ball with Tether
    could be used to hold the Phone.

The two would be linked together with a RAM Mount Plastic 1.75'' Short Arm with Double 1'' dia Socket

Total cost around US $42.50 - Any good ?

Thanks Coconut!

A RAM setup is my second choice for a permanent solution, and is currently what I have for a temporary setup.  I'm using a lobster claw, 1.75 arm and an X mount to put the phone right over the clutch fluid reservoir.  This has the advantage of being easily completely removable, but I purchased the X-mount a couple of phones ago, and it's just barely big enough to hold the current phone I use on the bike. After using this setup regularly 2 bikes ago (Harley softail Deluxe) and then going to a fairing mount solution on the Ultra, I'm convinced fairing/dash mount is my preferred setup.  A RAM setup would have the advantage of moving the phone closer to me, but I'd lose the convenience of push-button release (I don't usually feel comfortable leaving the phone on the bike when I park and leave it) and having the phone/case combo still low profile enough that it can fit in a pocket if necessary.

Going along with this, for my temporary setup, I don't have a good solution for power to the phone.  Has anyone run the bike with the fairing cubby hole open, with a power cable running to the bars?  Obviously this wouldn't be acceptable in inclement weather, and I'd have to do some finagling to make sure there's sufficient slack in the power cable for lock-to-lock steering with no entaglement...
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline kepi

• Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline kepi

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Edmonton
    Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2019, 05.50 am
    Jul 24, 2019, 05.50 am
    *Originally Posted by dandrumheller [+]
    Has anyone run the bike with the fairing cubby hole open, with a power cable running to the bars?  Obviously this wouldn't be acceptable in inclement weather, and I'd have to do some finagling to make sure there's sufficient slack in the power cable for lock-to-lock steering with no entaglement...
    I haven't done it with the cubby, but I do have an SAE cable directly connected to my battery and sticking out in the gap between where the battery lives and the forks and then connect an SAE USB port to it and run the cable up to my phone.

Plus with the SAE cable always connected to the battery, it's super easy to connect a Battery Tender to it during times when the bike's in storage.

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194
    • Topic Author

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2019, 09.18 am
    Jul 24, 2019, 09.18 am
    *Originally Posted by kepi [+]
    I haven't done it with the cubby, but I do have an SAE cable directly connected to my battery and sticking out in the gap between where the battery lives and the forks and then connect an SAE USB port to it and run the cable up to my phone.

Plus with the SAE cable always connected to the battery, it's super easy to connect a Battery Tender to it during times when the bike's in storage.

Ah hah! I hadn't thought of that!  The dealer I bought the bike from installs SAE plugs for tenders on every bike they sell, mine included!  They ran it to the empty space behind the right side mirror.  I'm gonna guess that's a pretty easy access from the battery box? Think I'll take a look tomorrow, but that sounds like a perfect temporary solution.
    2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9947

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2019, 10.17 am
    Jul 24, 2019, 10.17 am
    For a more permanent solution, the Power cable, either direct from the Battery on the SAE Lead
    ( though I'd make sure there was a suitable in line fuse ), or from the dedciated Power Supply
    for the Sat Nav, teh wiring can be fed up from behind the Instrument panel and through
    the Triumph Sat Nav bracket for a nice neat job !

The information in this Topc has al the information you need for fimding the Sat Nav Power Supply Plug,
    and for dismantling the Instrument Panel to feed the wires through the Sat Nav bracket :

HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660.

Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 07.14 pm by Coconut