Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: GPS mount for a great price?!?!  (Read 621 times)

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
Re: GPS mount for a great price?!?!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »
I ordered the same item direct from Triumph USA a few months ago with free shipping to my dealer for, I think, the same price.  Item A9828011 but no longer see it on the USA site.  Hopefully Bike Bandit has them in stock for you. :047:

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
For a more permanent solution, the Power cable, either direct from the Battery on the SAE Lead
( though I'd make sure there was a suitable in line fuse ), or from the dedciated Power Supply
for the Sat Nav, teh wiring can be fed up from behind the Instrument panel and through
the Triumph Sat Nav bracket for a nice neat job !

The information in this Topc has al the information you need for fimding the Sat Nav Power Supply Plug,
and for dismantling the Instrument Panel to feed the wires through the Sat Nav bracket :

HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount & Zumo 660.

Cheers  :821:

Thanks again Coconut!  Yeah, my plan was to run my permanent power solution up through the cable routing for the GPS mount. 

I'm currently debating a couple things:

a) should I run a cable with female USB A to the base of the mount and use a 'pigtail' to get from that plug to the device, or just install the USB cable I expect to use.  The USB A/pigtail option gives easy flexibility if I want to change mounted devices (current one uses USB C, which isn't as standard as I'd like yet).  Also makes it easy to change if the plug at the device fails due to age etc.  This setup would make for a less 'clean' install though, and USB A probably isn't the best type of plug to be sitting out in a potentially poor weather location.   I'm going to continue to stew on this one as I probably won't be doing this install for at least a few weeks, maybe longer. 

b)  I have been intending to pull switched power for the cradle from the circuit that powers the 12v socket in the fairing glovebox.  I'm also considering swapping the 12v socket for one of the dual USB/voltmeter outlets I've seen on here at the same time, since most of my 12v USB plug in chargers don't stay put in the 12v socket on this bike - had a nice low profile dual 2.4v one that I'd been using on the Harley for a couple years without issue - doesn't stay in the outlet on the Trophy at all - seems like the socket is slightly larger inside diameter.  I can't really think of anything I'd need to run off a 12v cigarette lighter anyway - the only potential one for me might be a portable compressor...but I don't currently own one.  If I were to get one, I'd likely just get the adapter to run it off one of the left side exterior power outlets anyway. 

I keep digging more and more into this forum, and the more I read, the more I want to do with this bike - the advice, input and how-to's here are AWESOME, and the friendly nature and cooperation from members is a nice change of pace from some other (not just motorcycle) forums I've been on!

Cheers!

Dan

2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 03:28:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rick505 [+]
I ordered the same item direct from Triumph USA a few months ago with free shipping to my dealer for, I think, the same price.  Item A9828011 but no longer see it on the USA site.  Hopefully Bike Bandit has them in stock for you. :047:

Thanks Rick!  Dealer quoted me $35 for it - but at the time I bought the bike I hadn't quite figured out what I wanted to do with mounting yet so I passed.  Now I'm glad I did!
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by kepi [+]
I haven't done it with the cubby, but I do have an SAE cable directly connected to my battery and sticking out in the gap between where the battery lives and the forks and then connect an SAE USB port to it and run the cable up to my phone.

Plus with the SAE cable always connected to the battery, it's super easy to connect a Battery Tender to it during times when the bike's in storage.

Quoting you again Kepi, to say thanks for the suggestion and keep the comments more understandable (since I've driven this thread rather off topic).  Hunted around a few places, and ended up getting the SAE to USB plug at, of all places, my local Harley dealer (where it was, amazingly, only marked up a couple bucks).  There was enough room/slack in the battery tender pigtail cable behind the mirror to just plug it in there, and run my USB cable out the battery box into the fork well.  Plenty of space to pass the wire through from the mirror pod to the battery box without any disassembly.  Tucked the cable along the front edge of the battery box cover and zip tied it to a couple places on the wiring harness along the bars.  Made sure to leave enough slack for lock to lock steering.

It's not the prettiest install, but that's OK - more encouragement for me to get the permanent setup installed in a timely manner! 

Thanks!
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline kepi

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by dandrumheller [+]
It's not the prettiest install, but that's OK - more encouragement for me to get the permanent setup installed in a timely manner! 

Thanks!
Right on! Glad the idea helped.

I actually don't use the USB plug to my phone there any more since I now have the TomTom Rider 550 hard-wired into the Sat Nav mount (which is super nice), but just having the SAE lead there for other stuff is pretty handy. I was actually considering using it to power a GoPro that I'd hook to the same RAM Mount I used to put my phone on. All kinds of options!  :001:

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 12:35:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by kepi [+]
Right on! Glad the idea helped.

I actually don't use the USB plug to my phone there any more since I now have the TomTom Rider 550 hard-wired into the Sat Nav mount (which is super nice), but just having the SAE lead there for other stuff is pretty handy. I was actually considering using it to power a GoPro that I'd hook to the same RAM Mount I used to put my phone on. All kinds of options!  :001:

Oh yet another good idea - it's a perfect setup to power the GoPro!  Having come from Harleys I'd given up on fairing and bar mounting the GoPro due to vibration issues - guess I can go back to trying that again!
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline kepi

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by dandrumheller [+]
Oh yet another good idea - it's a perfect setup to power the GoPro!  Having come from Harleys I'd given up on fairing and bar mounting the GoPro due to vibration issues - guess I can go back to trying that again!
And on the right side I have a dual-ball RAM Mount clutch/brake base (RAM-B-309-2U) installed (so I can confirm it fits the Trophy nicely) that I used to put my phone on, which I may end up using for the GoPro. Mostly because I have a RAM arm that's long enough to have the camera stick out beside the windshield so it's not recording through the curved edge. Or the bug splatters!  :153:

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 06:34:34 AM »
Good evening all...

Reviving this thread to post my (finally) finished mounting solution in case anyone else wants to go this way. 

I am getting power from fused SAE pigtail on battery --> SAE to USB adapter --> USB cable routed through the fairing and up to the Triumph GPS mount that I put in during GPS mount install.

Attached to GPS mount is a female 25mm ball adapter with AMPS mounting holes.  Apparently there is zero interest in this particular item in the States as no one here sells them; I ordered from Amazon but it came, appropriately, from England. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059EN7L6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with this adapter, as opposed to a 25mm RAM ball and extension, as I wanted to minimize the distance it extended away from the dash. 

And instead of a RAM X-mount to hold the phone, I did some digging and came across this item:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFDKNZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm really impressed with this mount.  Stronger grip than the X-mount, less in the way of buttons, and much cleaner looking.  It definitely doesn't need the tether for the phone I normally use on the bike (a previous phone with no service), but my current daily carry phone is somewhat slimmer - it would probably also be fine, but it wiggles around just enough that I like the extra confidence the tether gives.  When not in use, the tether is just the right size to hook back out of the way on the GPS mount and act as a power cable restraint. 

2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

tweedy-bunch