Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: BackOff XP module - Plug and Play style  (Read 269 times)

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
BackOff XP module - Plug and Play style
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:21:30 AM »
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in lighting and electrical, but since it's not stock equipment...

Two weeks in, and it was time for my first mod.  I’ve had this Backoff XP module sitting in my garage since 2014, when I was going to put it on the Harley Softail I was riding at the time.  I then ended up going to a full LED setup on that bike with another controller. 

Since the Trophy is a little less ‘well endowed’ with lights on the rear end, I figured any additional means of getting attention is probably a good thing.  But since I’ve only just gotten this bike, and it’s still under warranty, I didn’t really want to start slicing into the wiring, given my less than stellar electrical skills. 

So after seeing Coconut’s comments on another thread about sourcing exact match plugs for the taillight harness to tie in his stalk lights,  I figured that was a good approach to doing the Backoff.  Coconut was kind enough to post part numbers and a link to the plugs in the other thread, at my request.  His wiring info on the stalk light thread was the last piece of info I needed. 

*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
No Problem :

Ballenger Motorsports

Parts needed :

1 x CONN-75822 5 Way Connector Plug Kit for NTK AFRM ( Harness Side ) @ US $6.99
1 x CONN-75823 5 Way Connector Receptacle Kit for NTK AFRM ( Sensor Side ) @ US $6.99

Eack Kit is complete with a set of seals and pins to solder your wires onto. 

Cheers  :821:

The wiring colours of the motorcycle rear light unit are as follows :

Red                  = Tail Light & Number Plate +ve
Blue                 = Stop Light +ve
Black                = Stop & Tail & Indicator & Number Plate -ve
Yellow              = Offside ( Right ) Indicator +ve
Yellow / Green = Nearside ( Left ) Indicator +ve

Total cost for the mod was about $18 for the plugs shipped to my door, $12 for a cheap trailer wiring harness at walmart (convenient source for several strands of varying colors of wire), and whatever the cost of the Backoff module was. 

My soldering skills are weak and rarely used, and I didn't have the proper crimp tool for the pins, so I just did the best I could.  Had a couple pins that were a struggle to get seated in the plug - one for a reason I couldn't determine, so guessing it was a little too bulky at the solder joint, and the other has both the ground wire coming from the tail lights and the backoff module going to the same pin on the bike side plug.  this one is too fat to fit the waterproofing grommet, as well.  Probably the correct way to do this would have been to make a splice outside the body of the plug rather than running both wires to the pin itself. 

I just fished the bike side of the wiring harness up into the tail cone of the bike behind the passenger seat, plugged it in to the module, and then fished the taillight side of my harness out to the taillight.  There’s tons of room for the module in the tailcone.  I just left it sitting in there for now, but I might stick it down with velcro or something at some point. 

2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: BackOff XP module - Plug and Play style
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:52:13 AM »
Hi dandrumheller,

Glad to have been able to ehlp woth your project.

The next challenge will be to upload a Video of the lights in action !

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lebanon ME
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:37:12 AM »
Hi dandrumheller,

Glad to have been able to ehlp woth your project.

The next challenge will be to upload a Video of the lights in action !

Here you go!  Easier to post a link than to figure out how to turn it into a gif that will be small enough to post!

2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Excellent  - Thanks !

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline themiddaysun

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: SE USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
That worked out well!  Thanks for the pictures and video.  I am a visual learner and those things help ALOT.

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Raleigh nc
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
Looking good.

tweedy-bunch