Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: BMW owner in Scotland  (Read 4400 times)

Offline gogs01

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200RT SE
  • City / Town: Dundee
BMW owner in Scotland
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
Hi,

I've joined this forum because I'm considering buying a 2013 Trophy.

I currently run a 2010 BMW R1200 RT SE, and before owning BMWs I had a Yamaha FJR 1300 (2004), before that a Triumph Trophy 1200 (1999).

Trips through Europe have been at least one per year for the last 25 years, mostly with my wife on pillion, sometimes solo with my brother, who has just bought a K1600GT.

I'd like to make a decision on a new bike before a trip to Monza next May, but I'm not sure when I'm going to manage a test ride. Snow and ice are not ideal road conditions for a test ride !

Offline EFin

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TTSE
  • City / Town: San Diego
Re: BMW owner in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »
Hi...

Was wondering on what your final decision was?

I'm debating a 2011 BMW R1200 RT, or a 2014 TTSE.  Both for the same price so logic pushes me to the TTSE of course, and w/ a 4 yr extended warranty, makes is more logical!  BUT... I've always been drawn to the BMW RT... nostalgic reasons I suppose.  The Bonneville is my Triumph nostalgic bike, but not a good medium distance commuter which I intend to use it for.  But the new model glitches, faults, failures, problems... recalls... which to fair are to be expected, however keep me from being on the TTSE already.  However.... BMW RT's and others, have had a very fair share of expensive out of warranty problems, and I can't afford THAT nostalgia ! 

What was your final outcome.... and if on a TTSE do you regret / miss the RT? 
Cheers!
2014 Trophy SE ... faster blue one
1999 HD Dyna Wide-Glide ... old faithful waiting to be passed along

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »
Having ridden both its a no brainer. The TTSE hands down!
Better equipment, better handling, none of that annoying boxer buzz!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline EFin

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:41:44 PM »
Ahhh... thanks so much!
Nice to hear from an owner of both, not someone who 'suspects' based off biased thoughts etc!   It's been a hard decision as they're so comparable, but the BMW seems to have a history of costly repairs, and that's a big factor for me.  Hope the TT doesn't follow that similarity!!!

Thanks for your experienced input!

Offline Eftan

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200
  • City / Town: nelson
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »
Im in the process of buying a new TT, I own (and am trading in) a 2007 RT 1200 that has served me very well. Once I put 5 or 6 k on the TT will give you a long term view! It has on first meeting though made me think it will be comfier and drier than the aging RT
A daemon is for life not just Hallowe'en

Offline trophied

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »
I had a 2010 R1200RT without audio, and a K1600GTL, and the Trophy has all the goodies the K1600 had in a smaller, lighter, better protected, lower maintenance, lighter handling, easier to configure package.  The RT was good, but the Trophy is better.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline EFin

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »
Thanks guys....

It's comforting in the decision making process!!  I'm ... was :)  torn between the 2 bikes!  10k service is crucial compared to 6k so hope that helps lessen the blow of maintaining!
Thanks for the inputs!!  I was really really leaning towards the RT... just because it's what I'm familiar I suppose due to this being a 2yr model. 

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:20 AM »
As you know forums tend to be a collecting ground for complaints. All the owners on here have new or nearly new bikes and have owned through the new model shakedown phase. But as the thread 'are you happy with your trophy' shows 9 out of 10 owners say yes so the effect of the issues you mentioned has not been what you might expect if you compare say ukgser forum. The view among non owners building on perceived but not actual general triumph reliability issues is not confirmed by the people who really should know.

I test rode the trophy and new rt back to back and engine gearbox on the trophy was an overwhelming deciding factor. It seemed to me the price differential was the wrong way round !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:01:13 AM by davidcumbria »

tweedy-bunch