Spare Parts List by janfmiller
[Today at 05:18:21 pm]

Kickstand and Lean? by trophied
[Today at 02:20:19 pm]

Electrical Connectors by STJIM
[Today at 02:14:35 pm]

New Triumph Trophy OEM Tank Bag by azccj
[Yesterday at 10:22:20 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TTSE Auxiliary Fuel Tank  (Read 6627 times)

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Chula Vista
TTSE Auxiliary Fuel Tank
« on: August 03, 2013, 11:55:22 pm »
I've been getting my bike ready for a rally coming up the end of August. Finished up the dash shelf with a paint job and built myself a fuel cell. Adding the range and being able to manage stops will be a big plus (particularly in the western USA where gas stations can be a LONG way off). But for me getting my Storm case mounted was really important. While the panniers on the TT are nice and roomy they are a real problem to load and unload. My Storm case is perfect for the quick stops.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:43:07 pm by Admin »
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete] IBA#341
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: TTSE Auxiliary Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:59:25 am »
An amazing bit of farkling. That said, I assume it is legal to manufacture and fit an auxiliary fuel tank in the US.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 02:47:59 pm »
Yes. Is that not the case elsewhere?
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:56:40 pm »
I think that would fail construction and use regulations here in the UK and get you pulled over.... not sure whether I would feel too happy about all that fuel up there either...

Still as there is probably never an occasion where you are more than 50 miles from a fuel station here in the UK... not something I will need to worry about
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 09:32:17 pm »
Other than Canada and Alaska not that many places in North America that are more than 100 miles from a gas station.  But to each their own.  Little curious if all that fuel sloshing around doesn't affect handling. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:45 pm »
Yeah, all that extra weight transferring the COG upwards. Not to mention when it is part full and slashing around! Does it have baffles in it? It ain't pretty either! :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 09:52:45 pm »
Hey Pete

if f18s can have aux tanks, why not motorcycles. I always thought pelican cases were for firearms, not unleaded. I seen a pic of a gps mount you made that picked up the fasteners on the handlebars.  Any possibility you can make me one. Pls let me know.   I would pay, of course. Thanks

Offline ibpete

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:16:50 am »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
Other than Canada and Alaska not that many places in North America that are more than 100 miles from a gas station.  But to each their own.  Little curious if all that fuel sloshing around doesn't affect handling.
Fuel cells are more for stop management than range. How many times have you had to buy fuel, not because you needed it, but because you weren't sure you could get to the next station?

As to sloshing fuel, it's baffled but even if not worst case scenario would be with it 1/2 full. That would be about 15lbs that, at most could move less than 12". A pillion rider waving at somebody would be about the same. In 8+ years I've never noticed the extra weight or sloshing on my last bike.

tweedy-bunch