Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Front Daytime Running Lights  (Read 360 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Front Daytime Running Lights
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
Very good modification, my only concern would be when it comes to MOT time here in the UK, will all testers be happy to pass the bike with such lights fitted?
Some can be funny old sticks, I'm not up on the rules myself but I know that height and distance apart figures are stated in the book.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »
I considered that too - for the average "Home User" the Rules and Regulations
( Con & Use, Road Vehicles Lighting Reg's, Road Traffic Act{s}, etc ) are just
too complicated to wade through, and I would be amazed if my installation
didn't contravene something, somewhere !

However, with 30 years previous experience in the LA environment, I know they are not
"dangerous", which is what a Traffic Patrol Officer might be interested in the most.

They definitely DO make the Bike more visible, without dazzling anyone, or being "over the top",
and to me, this outweighs the possibility of a minor infringement that could attract
a small ( non endorsable ) Penalty. ( Not that there are enough Traffic Police around these days
with the time or inclination to do anything about something so relatively trivial ).

The installation is also "plug and play" and could be reverted to Stock condition in about a minute,
together with a Switch to turn off the DRL's while leaving the Indicators functional.

When my Trophy is old enough to need an MOT, ( 3 years ), I will ask the examiner about them,
and revert to Stock for the Test - if needed.

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
The only other 'possible' that I can think of is insurance companies, would/could they use this sort of mod against you if the worst happened?

I'm guessing that they could say that the bike technically doesn't have an MOT then so wasn't actually road legal when the crash occurred etc etc. I know that some of them will use any excuse/way of not paying out. :233:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 08:27:53 AM »
Earthman :

Glass half full or half empty ?  :821:

I don't want to get into a protracted discussion about the pros and cons
of carrying out a specific modification - that is probably best served in a separate Topic -
perhaps you'd like to start one, but to answer your latest query, the answer is "Who knows" ?

I have posted this Topic on the Modification I, and others have done
for others to consider - but as ever, it would be "at your own risk" !

My thought process on your latest "possible" is that it would need to be shown
that whatever the Modification was, contributed to such an accident.

For example if you modified the Headlight wiring with a switch that allowed you to ride
without the headlamps on, and someone pulled out on you because they didn't see you,
the Insurance Company would have a good reason not to pay out.

In this case -- of making the bike more visible, and therefore potentially safer,
they couldn't really use that argument. 

They would probably be able to deny a claim for the bike being destroyed in a fire caused
by poor electrical installation of the modification, and it might be down to the installer ( in this case me )
to demonstrate that the installation was conducted to a satisfactory standard etc.

Then again, most Insurance companies these days require notification of all Modifications,
that are not manufacturer approved -- do we all do that  ?

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »
I agree with what you say and aren't knocking the mod, it's a great idea, just thinking out loud really.

It's a shame that one has to at least be aware of the possibility of such complications, fingers crossed that none of us have first hand experience hey. :002:

Offline dandrumheller

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lebanon
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 01:43:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Xsv [+]
I have been running the switchbacks for over 2 years now.  https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,6781.0.html

I had no complaints and nobody hitting their high beams in response to the white lights.

Thanks for the feedback Xsv!  Guess it's time to order. 
2015 TTSE.  It's blue.

tweedy-bunch