Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Front Daytime Running Lights  (Read 14646 times)

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9756
    • Topic Author

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Front Daytime Running Lights
    Reply #56 on: Aug 23, 2021, 06.29 pm
    Aug 23, 2021, 06.29 pm
    The kit I bought had "Bulb like ends" on the wires.

Remove the Trophy Bulbholder from the back of the Indicator Unit.

Take the Rubber "O" Ring off the Bulbholder.

Fit the "Bulb like end" of the DRL wiring into the loose Trophy Bulbholder.
    ( I then put it into a plastic bag and zipped tied it closed to keep water out ).

Fit the Rubber "O" Ring that you removed from the Trophy Bulbholder
    onto the new LED DRL Bulb, and then push the LED DRL into the back of the Indicator Unit,
    where the Rubber "O" Ring will help to hold it securely in place.

Tuck the palstic bag with the "Bulb like end" away inside the mirror pod,
    along with the Resistor - taking account that this may get hot with prolonged use,
    for example running with the Hazards lights flashing continuously.

The only other thing that is needed is to connect the extra fused wire
    of the new LED DRL to a suitable Ignition switched supply -
    this is the wire that provides power for the white DRL LED's.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2586

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #57 on: Aug 23, 2021, 08.37 pm
    Aug 23, 2021, 08.37 pm
    The positive cable of my turn signals for white light, is black and I connected it through a wireless switch with positive +12 volts and so when I see it convenient I can connect and disconnect them.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 TT
    • City / Town: Victoria
    Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05.43 am
    Dec 01, 2021, 05.43 am
    I've got a strange problem with the switchback indicators I installed that I hope some cleaver owner might be able to help me with.
    The bulbs are GTR Lighting GTR.LED572 1157 Switchback Carbide Canbus 2.0 LED Bulbs. They have built-in resistors so don't require a resistor kit. I changed the bulb holders to BAY15D and ran the extra power from the the glove box 12v supply via a switch and fuse.
    The bulbs work fine without the engine running but when I start the engine and try the indicator they either give just one flash or donít work at all.
    Strangely I have discovered that if I start the bike with the flashers going (especially the hazard with both indicators flashing) after maybe 6 or 7 restarts the indications will start working fine with the engine running. Once they start working I have no problem with them while riding the bike. I can even turn off the bike for a short time and they will continue to work when I restart the bike. However, when I come back after a couple of days (I havenít worked out the exact minimum time) I will have to go through the whole process again of restarting the bike a number of times with the indicators on to get them working!
    p.s. I'm a bit disappointed with the bulbs because although the indicators are super bright, I feel the white light is not as bright as I would have liked.

• Offline digital   es

• Trophy God  ‐    2586

Offline digital

• Trophy God
    • Bike: digital
    • City / Town: Barcelona
    Reply #59 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06.32 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 06.32 pm
    What I would do (just as a test), is take a piece of wire and connect it directly to the battery or to another point where it has 12 volts after the ignition key. I think I remember that the 12 volt auxiliary socket in the glove compartment, gives the 12 volt voltage once the motorcycle engine starts and that could be the problem with your led bulbs.
    Only motorcyclists know why dogs stick their head out the car window.

• Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member
    Reply #60 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09.35 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 09.35 pm
    Thanks for your reply Digital. It might be worth trying a different 12v supply but I don't think it is the problem because the indicators work fine before I start the engine. The problem is only after starting the engine! Also this is the 12v location used by others earlier in this discussion.

• Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member
    Reply #61 on: Dec 01, 2021, 10.41 pm
    Dec 01, 2021, 10.41 pm
    p.s. I also checked it with the white lights turned off (via the switch I installed) and the indicators still ONLY work before the engine is started unless I go through the repeated process of switching the engine on and off with the hazards running.

• Online Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9756
    • Topic Author

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #62 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09.16 am
    Dec 02, 2021, 09.16 am
    I agree with digital's advice to try connecting the DRL power cable directly to the main battery
    to eliminate any problems of a faulty connection, or any other issue with that Accessory socket circuit.

If it works correctly when connected directly to the battery,
    provide a new power connection for the DRL's, preferably via an isolation switch.

If the DRL's still exhibit the same problems it may well be that they are faulty.

Cheers  :821:

• Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member  ‐    18

Offline Pommy

• Trophy Member
    Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2021, 04.09 am
    Dec 05, 2021, 04.09 am
    Many thanks Coconut, but I don't think this is an issue with the power to the white lights (in fact I've disconnected those). The power for the amber indicators comes directly from the original indicator leads.
    I really hope you can solve this - you've known the answer to everyone's questions!
    I don't think they are faulty because they work fine before I turn on the engine. The only thing I can think is perhaps it might have something to do with the voltage, being higher when the engine is running compare to off? Do you know what latches the indicators on, it is not a physical switch?